Cost of British holidays

The magpie café, supposed to be brilliant in there, or you could always try Mels Place.

OI! shes not coming to my house, well suppose i could cook up some heron fish n chips for £9.50 if push comes to shove :hihi:

1989 - booked holiday with Shearings for 1 (summer) week for 3 adults in Guernsey for £108 each. Included: Coach down to Lymington, hydrofoil to Guernsey (same on return), meal on arrival then self catering in chalet attached to hotel. Corsa hire car with fuel included. Heaven knows what it would be now.

1989 - booked holiday with Shearings for 1 (summer) week for 3 adults in Guernsey for £108 each. Included: Coach down to Lymington, hydrofoil to Guernsey (same on return), meal on arrival then self catering in chalet attached to hotel. Corsa hire car with fuel included. Heaven knows what it would be now.

Bet you could"nt do it for less than £600 each now.

Is it just me, or has the cost of holidays in Britain gone right up?

Due to circumstances, we're forced to holiday in Britain for the next few years and it seems to me that they now charge more for a weekend, or three or four nights than they used to charge for a whole week. Even caravans are charging 4 to 5 hundred a week.

On top of that everything seems to be a complete rip off. Cost of entertainment, food, visitor attractions etc seem to cost the earth for not very much. Add to that the chance of being rained on all week, and it doesn't seem a very inviting experience.

There's just the two of us, (and the dog,) one of us a bit disabled at the moment. How do families afford it? Anybody got any ideas?

Minimum wage goes up by chunk every year (and lets face it, thats all most workers in hotels and resorts are one) - and alot of these places have plenty of staff, plus pensions etc etc, business rates have shot through the roof and you have a fairly short season in many places.

Some places seem to charging top whack money in the hope of turning it a top whack place - I went round HALF of wentworth woodhouse at the princely sum of £25 a head and was left with the thought "it will be nice when its finished". Clumber park are now charging £4 per head rather than £4 per car - that wasnt cheap for a car full - nice, but not £20 nice.

Joining the national trust is a decent idea though. I tend to look more at day trips now.

My wife and l are going to Spain soon. Half board, flights, transfers £800 (for both of us) for 10 days. Thats £80 per day including a journey of almost 2000 miles. I could pay £80 per day just for accomodation here in the UK and have done add to that rail fare of £100 or more, taxis to the hotel from the station and there is no contest.

The magpie café, supposed to be brilliant in there, or you could always try Mels Place.

No this wasn't Magpie, or Threshers, (?) nothing like that, this was just a run of the mill cafe that happened to be open. It's £15 in Magpie now.

---------- Post added 04-06-2018 at 17:02 ----------

Definitely too expensive. You can get an entire 2 bedroom flat in Whitby from £60 per night.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/21225831?location=Whitby&s=UBfe9oT7

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6775977?location=Whitby

Really, where? Serious question, we might try it.

Trouble is one of us is currently disabled and can't walk far so it has to be fairly central, not too many steps / stairs etc. And has to take dogs, so options are a bit limited.

Bet you could"nt do it for less than £600 each now.

They did bloody well considering the Corsa hire car they rented wasn't released till the mid 1990's