How to fix dripping joint, in copper water pipe?

It looks like it's on the heating pipework so to replace would require a drain down of the heating system.

Call in a professional, let them worry about access issues.

Considering it's around 20 degree's out, it's no problem having a plumber drain and re-fill the heating system right now. It doesn't take them long at all, and I'd much rather have it done on a warm summers day then when it's below freezing in the winter!!

Thanks for the tip MrRobot!

It looks like a soldered join, and it's probably at least 30 years old. There's also a problem with it being in a very tight corner, so access isn't the greatest.

What are you suggesting, cutting the pipe and fitting a new (comression fit?) T section?

Firstly if you bodge it you will regret it. Is it a heating pipe to a radiator? can you unscrew it from the radiator valve after draining the system properly. Also then pull the pipe out of any clips. This may give you enough flexibility in the pipe to make a repair. It doesn't matter whether you use a soldered joint or a compression but the solder joint will likely be smaller.

I find the yorkshire joints aren't as good as they used to be with the lead free solder used now, so I tend to run extra solder around the ends to ensure a good seal.

If you go for it ensure all the water is drained from the pipe or you will just spend all day making steam. :)

Firstly if you bodge it you will regret it. Is it a heating pipe to a radiator?

Nope, the 2 pipes coming off the main pipes, go to a basin hot and cold taps.

Anyhow, felt I was a bit out of my depth, so we've got someone to come round and sort it properly. Thank god for people who actually know that they're doing!

Also, thanks to everyone on this thread for your suggestions. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I have a leaking T join in a copper wipe, drips about once every 30-60 seconds. What are my options for fixing? Is there anything I can smear over it, or tape round it, that will stop a leak?

Ta.

Folks,

I have this same problem. The leak is around every minute and the joint of the lead pipe (cold water) is visible (in the cellar).

Im located near Graves park. Any tradesmen here can give me a quote or look at the job.

Thanks