Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

Guest busdriver1
I'm sorry but we are a laughing stock.

I can only agree with that. Once a politician makes a statement like he is banning a person he has no power to ban he makes himself and those that rally to his cause look like idiots.

All I can say to Mr Mayor is dont make statements like "all the people in Sheffield" because you can not speak for them all, only those that agree with you.

The Americans couldn’t manage without he likes of Forgemasters special steels, like the Germans they only manufacture reinforcing steel and cast iron.

Not sure what point is being made but the facts are wrong.

The German automotive, mechanical and engineering steel sector is bigger than its construction sector and both dwarf that of the UK.

The American automotive, mechanical and engineering steel sector is smaller than its construction sector industries and but dwarfs that of the UK.

Guest busdriver1
Was Trump even planning to visit Sheffield?

I dont think so, so its an easy thing to "ban" a person who isnt coming. A real politicians action.

So in short he is looking after Americas industry? Maybe a model that needs further investigation then.

That's what we need, a populist approach to the economy based on promises made in the hustings.

His own Business leaders find his actions unproductive and detrimental to the economy.

Justifying the actions of an individual who will put people out of work in Sheffield is sad.

Guest busdriver1
Yep,let's all be insular...great idea..

There is a major difference between being insular and looking after your own population, the population who voted you in and gave you the mandate to run their country for them in the way he promised in his campaign.

And no, I am not a supporter of him but i do respect his determination.

The recent history of our Government protecting our workforce in Sheffield is not very encouraging is it?

Direct government intervention has led to tens of thousands of jobs in this area being lost with very few being created by them.

They are trying to get Trump to change his mind and perhaps reminding the population of Sheffield that Trump is threatening the livelihood of some of its residents is the duty of a Lord Mayor.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

The recent history of our Government protecting our workforce in Sheffield is not very encouraging is it?

Direct government intervention has led to tens of thousands of jobs in this area being lost with very few being created by them.

They are trying to get Trump to change his mind and perhaps reminding the population of Sheffield that Trump is threatening the livelihood of some of its residents is the duty of a Lord Mayor.

Annie your posts are incredibly confusing and vague.

Who is 'they' that are trying to get Trump to change his mind. And about what? How is this linked to the Mayor who has just called him a wasteman and wants to focus on Mexico which has zero to do with people of Sheffield.

How is Trump threatening the livelihood of Sheffield residents specifically? As I recall Mr Trump said that we would be first in the queue for a trade deal, and then our government rather than taking that olive branch preferred to insult him and cosy up to the EU which we are leaving.