Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

He is no good for Sheffield, we do not need this. It`s embarrassing, what ever his bleedin` role is or isn`t, the media who don`t need any help just pile in and portray Sheffield as backward and ill educated. The media are the enemy, always difficult with Sheffield not being a media centre. You have to understand how the media works and the inherent biases.

I have deleted 95% of my reply, to leave the quote:

"...backward and ill educated...".

He is no good for Sheffield, we do not need this. It`s embarrassing, what ever his bleedin` role is or isn`t, the media who don`t need any help just pile in and portray Sheffield as backward and ill educated. The media are the enemy, always difficult with Sheffield not being a media centre. You have to understand how the media works and the inherent biases.

All the more reason to have a media-savvy Lord Mayor then :thumbsup:

As for inherent bias, I’m not worried about the media; I’m detecting plenty of inherent bias from you :roll:

We had a chat with him at Tramlines today, hes a really nice friendly man, had time for everyone and you could tell he was genuinely interested in everybody.

You could also tell how proud he is to call Sheffield his home, which is more than can be said about an awful lot of born and bred Sheffielders.

Edited by nikki-red

Guest makapaka
We had a chat with him at Tramlines today, hes a really nice friendly man, had time for everyone and you could tell he was genuinely interested in everybody.

You could also tell how proud he is to call Sheffield his home, which is more than can be said about an awful lot of born and bred Sheffielders.

Absolutely- he’s a great bloke.

These people moaning about him - nonsense.

Our country took him in, he has made Sheffield his home, is proud to represent it and is enjoying this role (and expressing it)... I don't support his party, nor do I support that pointless "protest" against Donald trump's visit, that was a waste of time and resources, but hundreds of people did enjoy it, each to their own!. I like him as a person, it's nice to have someone in that role so interactive with his supporters. Whether we like it or not, social media is incredibly large, this is 2018, and he expresses himself on there to more and more people daily. I do not have a problem with him in this role

So the media are going to use the fact that having a bright, young, different, media savvy mayor makes Sheffield backward and ill educated.

The headlines are there in the national papers, what part of that do you not understand. The articles are an embarrassment, they show Sheffield in a bad light.

Joker, i stick up for my home city of Sheffield. You must understand the inherent media biases, national and local on many levels. Every adult of average intelligence realizes and recognizes the media tells lies. Media biases. Yes, my bias, which was a lazy return is there for all to see.

So the media are going to use the fact that having a bright, young, different, media savvy mayor makes Sheffield backward and ill educated.

The headlines are there in the national papers, what part of that do you not understand. The articles are an embarrassment, they show Sheffield in a bad light.

Joker, i stick up for my home city of Sheffield. You must understand the inherent media biases, national and local on many levels. Every adult of average intelligence realizes and recognizes the media tells lies. Media biases. Yes, my bias, which was a lazy return is there for all to see.

So on the one hand, the media tells lies.

And on the other hand, every adult of average intelligence or above knows the media tells lies.

OK, good. So we can agree on something.

Anyway, would you rather a mayor of pensionable age, like the last half-dozen or we we've had?

I rather liked Jackie Drayton, since she's from my side of the tram tracks.

I liked Sylia Dunkley too, I've met her on a couple of occasions when she was Lord (Lady?) Mayor.

I also liked the Alan Law, since he is from my side of the city too. Did you know the Lord Mayor has over 800 social functions to attend to?

800!

In one year!

That's more than two per day!

And the funny thing is, when Alan Law was Lord Mayor, I met him at so many social functions that year, I probably saw more of him than his family did!

Anyway, I think it's time we had someone younger because it's really tough attending all them social functions which, let's face it, did involve youth far more than they involved doddering old pensioners.