Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

43 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Important to who - you?

To the city. He is the first Citizen or first royal subject.  He is our ambassador to the country and the wider society.  So he should give the position the respect it is due.  Also as an aisde. Do you think its acceptable to stand on tables?  What would your parents say if you stood on a table (even your own dining room table).  Mine would kill me.  And thats not an expensive oak table either.

3 minutes ago, woodmally said:

To the city. He is the first Citizen or first royal subject.  He is our ambassador to the country and the wider society.  So he should give the position the respect it is due.  Also as an aisde. Do you think its acceptable to stand on tables?  What would your parents say if you stood on a table (even your own dining room table).  Mine would kill me.  And thats not an expensive oak table either.

No, but Ive got to admit that when I first saw those photos the first thought I had was 'Whose idea was that?' As in maybe the photographer had suggested it.
It was bad judgement either way, but I do still like him, as does virtually everyone Ive ever spoke to about him.

Just now, nikki-red said:

No, but Ive got to admit that when I first saw those photos the first thought I had was 'Whose idea was that?' As in maybe the photographer had suggested it.
It was bad judgement either way, but I do still like him, as does virtually everyone Ive ever spoke to about him.

If it was one mistake I could forgive it but then wearing a sombraro with Donald Trump is a Wasteman tshirt come on.  A wasteman is someone who has no job or nothing to do.  Despite what I think of Donald Trump (and none of it is polite) he is doing a job.  Remember this is our representative on the national stage. Do people really want to be represented by him?

On 6/5/2018 at 9:36 AM, EmmaJones76 said:

Its a ceremonial role only. He goes around opening nurseries and garden centres. Same as any other "lord mayor of Sheffield" in your lifetime.

Stop worrying your head about it. If Sheffield has converted to Sharia law by October then please, come back and have a legitimate moan about it.

rather an odd statement to make.   if sheffield or when sheffield does eventually become subverted to sharia law do you think for a moment yuo would be allowed to complaimn about on sheffield forums.     

such naivety ought to be rewarded.  come to think of it perhaps some of us  will be .... as I very much doubt you or any women would even be allowed to be members of sheffield forums not necessarily a good thing but  we'd be at least spared your false platitudes

1 hour ago, R.Majewski said:

Don't you think a fairly powerless position, full of pomp and pointless decorum is better served bringing people together? Making people smile?  

well said but

i think it would be even better were the position completely retired.   the regailia auctioned off to provide hot foot and shelter for the homeless we don't officially have according to the council.  thousands of pounds a year in expenses .... cars and drivers ... entertaining etc etc and all put to a better use.  protecting the trees perhaps or making amey repair all the roads they have done so far.

Edited by fill
i did not want my replies merging

21 minutes ago, fill said:

rather an odd statement to make.   if sheffield or when sheffield does eventually become subverted to sharia law do you think for a moment yuo would be allowed to complaimn about on sheffield forums.     

such naivety ought to be rewarded.  come to think of it perhaps some of us  will be .... as I very much doubt you or any women would even be allowed to be members of sheffield forums not necessarily a good thing but  we'd be at least spared your false platitudes

well said but

i think it would be even better were the position completely retired.   the regailia auctioned off to provide hot foot and shelter for the homeless we don't officially have according to the council.  thousands of pounds a year in expenses .... cars and drivers ... entertaining etc etc and all put to a better use.  protecting the trees perhaps or making amey repair all the roads they have done so far.

Its not completely ceremonial. He is also the "speaker" for want of a better term in council meetings.  Any meeting like that needs a chair.

32 minutes ago, woodmally said:

Its not completely ceremonial. He is also the "speaker" for want of a better term in council meetings.  Any meeting like that needs a chair.

they could all take it in turn to elect their own chairman / woman  ...   the role of mayor is not needed.. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, woodmally said:

1 hour ago, woodmally said:

It was a staged photo shoot.

I’m sure no expensive tables were damaged.

Other than your own opinion of what constitutes normal behaviour in a photo shoot I’ve still to here any evidence of this supposed self serving and idiocy from you.

1 hour ago, Nankypoo said:

If he were white, of a similar age, education, behaved the same, dressed the same, treated his office the same, was as " cute and whacky" would he still be as lovable and cute in the eyes of all you fans ?.

Somehow I think not

if he was white and none refugee, muslim we wouldnt even be having this conversation which is currently on 74 pages, every other white sheffield mayor wouldnt get past 1 page on here

7 minutes ago, fill said:

they could all take it in turn to elect their own chairman / woman  ...   the role of mayor is not needed.. 

the mayor is chosen every year anyway, each political party gets a "go" i believe, dont worry everybody only till may to go

23 minutes ago, melthebell said:

if he was white and none refugee, muslim we wouldnt even be having this conversation which is currently on 74 pages, every other white sheffield mayor wouldnt get past 1 page on here

the mayor is chosen every year anyway, each political party gets a "go" i believe, dont worry everybody only till may to go

have to admit you have made a few good points mel

Edited by fill