bus lanes in sheffield

In London if you're travelling in the right hand lane and the bus lane is free other drivers will flash/beep you to indicate that you should be in the bus lane (i've personally never seen this in Sheffield), but also drivers won't block you in if your manouvering out of the bus lane to avoid a parked car.

TBH I quite like it this way as it means I quite often get a lane to myself.

Obviously this is anecdotal but it's something I have noticed many many times.

Penistone Road can also prove to be frustrating with people travelling in the overtaking lane when the nearside lane is free.

I don't think the right hand lane is the "overtaking" lane. Its just the right hand lane. Its not like a motorway as you may wish to occupy the right hand lane in order to turn right at some point.

It's a multi lane carriageway. Unless you are performing an overtaking manouvere or are preparing to turn right then you should be in the left hand lane. You shouldn't be in the right hand lane at hillsborough stadium to turn right at the shalesmore roundabout.

I don't think the right hand lane is the "overtaking" lane. Its just the right hand lane. Its not like a motorway as you may wish to occupy the right hand lane in order to turn right at some point.

And that is the real problem, far too many people do not understand that second and any extra lanes are for overtaking and turning right. You should drive on the left hand side of the road and lanes where possible.

From the highway code:-

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

It's a multi lane carriageway. Unless you are performing an overtaking manouvere or are preparing to turn right then you should be in the left hand lane.

Rubbish.

The right hand lane is for overtaking rule ( 137-138 ) is for dual carriageways, that is roads that have a central reservation to separate the carriageways.

On most urban roads the most appropriate lane is simply the most appropriate lane, and this is not overruled simply by the availability or otherwise of a bus lane. Anybody pulling into the left hand lane, knowing that they need to be in the right hand lane shortly, will be in contravention of the Highway Code advice on multi-lane carriageways.

Lane discipline

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed.

When it safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear move over.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily.

Merging in turn is recommended but only safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 09:19 ----------

And that is the real problem, far too many people do not understand that second and any extra lanes are for overtaking and turning right. You should drive on the left hand side of the road and lanes where possible.

From the highway code:-

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

You didn't read the definition of what a dual-carriageway is, and what this rule applies to, printed just before the bit you copied here did you?

Edited by quisquose

Rubbish.

The right hand lane is for overtaking rule ( 137-138 ) is for dual carriageways, that is roads that have a central reservation to separate the carriageways.

Correct me if i'm wrong (i'm sure you would anyway) but the Penistone does have a central reservation.

Correct me if i'm wrong (i'm sure you would anyway) but the Penistone does have a central reservation.

Penistone Road?

Penistone Road is a Dual-Carriageway, so 137/138 applies. Is that what you were referring to, because this is a thread about use of bus-lanes?

• 2 years later...