Rise in Pauper's funerals

Pauper’s Funeral is a misnomer because what is described here isn’t really a funeral, rather a simple disposal by cremation. My friend and her husband wanted this (no funeral or wake), although it was funded from their estate. This method may well become more popular, particularly as fewer people are religious these days.

A funeral doesn't have to be a religious one.

My lovely Mum passed away very recently and the service was one of the celebration of her life without any hymns or prayers. It was beautiful and very fitting.

Personally, I think the funeral is a vital part of the grieving process. Time to say goodbye with family and friends.

I think that people don't have the slightest idea how much a funeral costs.

I would advise everyone to pay into a funeral plan to spread the cost. It really doesn't cost much every month.

I know that most people don't want to think about dying but if you die without a proverbial pot to urinate in then it's your loved ones who have to pick up the bill.

We decided some years ago to go down the donation route when we're done living.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5gja3z/the-important-process-of-donating-your-body-to-medical-science-020

What exactly is a pauper's funeral? Of course, I know what pauper means, but what is the due process and means test of such a sorry state of affairs, meaning no disrespect to any poor people, by any means. This very statement, "paupers funeral" just sounds so Dickensian. 'Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?"

Basically you can apply to the Social Fund in the DWP and if the person who has to organise the funeral qualifies they get the cost of a coffin, a cremation and no service. That's it.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 14:27 ----------

Just like care homes - people think the state should pay.

There are laws governing burials and cremations, you can't just DIY. So if someone can't afford to do what they are legally obliged to then of course the state should pay.

I know what you mean. They vary from local authority to local authority. Some don't allow any mourners at all, so I'm told, and there is no service. They deal with the necessary paper work then the body is simply cremated with no fanfare (although simple dignities are observed.)

Depends on the authority. But yes it does sound very Dickensian. But some people simply don't have the means to pay.

One thing absolutely guaranteed in life is that you will die.

With the obvious exception of those with life-long non-recoverable debilitating physical or mental health conditions.... In cases of the majority of the adult population, to reach old age with no estate, no assets, no money in the bank and nothing on you then its absolutely clear something along the line has gone terribly wrong.

As others have said there are pre-paid funeral plans from less than £1 a week. These unfortunate deceased people must have also at some point family, friends, acquaintances who help out and see them through the final stages of life financially if in difficulty. That's what people who love each other do right?

But, no. Seemingly there are the regulars who just sit there expecting the state to fund their entire lives for them.

Well, there you go. No pay no get. You want state to sort it out. They have. A simple, no frills so called "paupers funeral". All the essentials taken care of and a cremation at the end. Full stop.

I have to ask what more should one really expect to receive?

Lets not make out like this is some disgraceful and barbaric end to a life. Its not like the state are leaving the departed to rot in the street or throw them into some mass unmarked grave for heavens sake.

At the end of the day, if a person and their family wants the nice long service with a bespoke made coffin of their choosing and all the trimmings of a pall-bearer precession and a nice wake afterwards - that costs money.

Its all about taking responsibility again. You want something above basic provision. You pay for it.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 14:45 ----------

Pauper’s Funeral is a misnomer because what is described here isn’t really a funeral, rather a simple disposal by cremation. My friend and her husband wanted this (no funeral or wake), although it was funded from their estate. This method may well become more popular, particularly as fewer people are religious these days.

I would probably be in support of that. I am completely non-religious.

My thoughts and memories of my late father are in photographs, objects and my head - not by visiting some graveyard or plaque with an annual rental charge.

Whilst I had a service which cost about £3500 out of the estate and a contribution from myself and my brother. That was more for the extended family rather than ourselves. The wake was at home and I dont think any of us visited the plaque at all after the day of the funeral.

I would agree that there will be a rise in these types of arrangements, but not because of some faux anti-tory anti-austerity nonsense. More likely the next generation (and far less religious generation) will simply see it as a superb perfectly practical value for money way of dealing with the deceased.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Yes you are right I remember reading about that was David Bowie's wish and his son and his wife made sure it happened as he wished. His body was basically taken away and disposed of and he was not skint by any means. To be honest I have often said that they can do what the hell hey like with my remains ,as I am sure I won't feel a thing.;)

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 10:45 ----------

I want to be launched out of a cannon and into the sea.

LOL, Hello Sailor.

Edited by Ontarian1981

We decided some years ago to go down the donation route when we're done living.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5gja3z/the-important-process-of-donating-your-body-to-medical-science-020

There are some conditions attached to going down that route and the chances of having your body accepted is not guaranteed. If its a sudden death and/or a autopsy has been carried out then it will probably be rejected despite any prior agreements made. It also may be rejected if you are on the organ donors list so its best to check with the medical school first.