Supertram staff to strike..

Details of replacement services for the upcoming strike are now available.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2018/july/st-strike-action

Bus/Tram services as before only run between 0700 - 1900, and this time on Saturday/Sunday the only trams running will be on the Blue Route between the Station and Malin Bridge (at an advertised 20 minute frequency) so I suspect they're putting as much capacity as they can rustle up into serving Hillsborough for Tramlines.

Typical, I don't finish till 8pm....:suspect::suspect::suspect:

Striking used to be something acceptable normal and happen to get workers rights where I lived before.

It almost feels like it is some sort of dirty sin in England as if people aren't allowed to strike.

I think it depends on the reason.

Of the trams that were running yesterday, were there any conductors working onboard? Looked to be free rides for all!

Most of the replacement buses also seemed to be carting fresh air around, looked a complete waste of money and with the money they have spent drafting in these buses and drivers from Manchester and elsewhere around the UK, they could have actually paid their staff the increase they were asking for and avoided this situation fully.

I suspect the same shambles of a service will take place again on Thursday? Hopefully this time some of the bus drivers will know where they are going, and not make up there own routes (one we was on to Meadowhall ended up running down the Parkway after he got lost!).

One I was on took us on a magical mystery tour of Darnall!!

Got some of the biggest lying idiots in politics. Who is this person who decides what is the right reason to strike? Another idiot?

The public have been behind some strikes in the past. As a member of the public (not really affected by the strike) I think striking over this weekend is mean spirited. There was an ad last year for Supertram conductors and drivers. £18k+ and £23k+. Not a fortune, but better pay than many other jobs that need no qualifications. It appears a pay rise has been offered and rejected, and it's unlikely it will be improved.

The public have been behind some strikes in the past. As a member of the public (not really affected by the strike) I think striking over this weekend is mean spirited. There was an ad last year for Supertram conductors and drivers. £18k+ and £23k+. Not a fortune, but better pay than many other jobs that need no qualifications. It appears a pay rise has been offered and rejected, and it's unlikely it will be improved.

I use the tram and see conductors come and go over time. That must be one of the most skilled jobs I have ever seen. Standing, walking all day long on that wobbly moving tram facing all sorts of people. One moment having contact with children or celebrative teenagers, next moment facing a dying pensioner and all sorts of other mentally sick people.

You may not need to go to university to be a conductor, but someone who has been to university will not be any better or more qualified than a skilled conductor who isn't affected by the weird environment you work in.

Interesting to note that Stagecoach are profiteering from their own strike and will be putting on 30 extra buses, but passengers will be charged £3 for a single ticket and no passes/concessions will be valid. :hihi::hihi:

It does beg the question, why if they can fund this along with the daytime replacement buses, that they couldn't have avoided this situation and called the strike off by placing an acceptable offer to their staff. These additional drivers and vehicles that are coming from Manchester won't have come cheap!

Details are available at: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2018/july/st-buses-for-strike-action

However, at the end of the festival, a fleet of 30 Stagecoach buses will be on hand at the venue to transport attendees back into the city centre. Tickets cost £3 and can be purchased at the loading point prior to boarding the bus.

Managing Director of Stagecoach Yorkshire, Matt Davies said: “Tramlines is a fantastic festival and we want this year’s event to be a success. As soon as we were made aware that the strike was going ahead we looked at what we could do to help people get home. With a convoy of buses on hand from 8pm on Friday and Saturday and 7pm on Sunday we hope to transport partygoers back into the city centre swiftly and at a great price.”

Managing Director of Supertram, Tim Bilby said: “We’re grateful to our bus colleagues for stepping in to help provide a service to get passengers home. We’re extremely disappointed that the union intends to proceed with this strike action, despite last minute talks and a further revised offer being tabled. Our door is still open to talk to Unite but we are very clear that any pay deal needs to be realistic and we are at the very limit of what is affordable. We will be working hard to keep people moving this weekend and hope everyone attending the festival has a great time."

Also it appears that the trams in Manchester are now following Sheffield's lead and also voting for strike action over the August Bank Holiday/Manchester Pride weekend in late August. However they have been offered a 3.3% pay increase onto their already £29,000pa salary. When taking this into account, it's interesting to see why Supertram staff are voting overwhelmingly to strike when they are on a reported £23,000pa salary for drivers and £20,000pa salary for conductors...

More on this can be found here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44893444

Interesting to note that Stagecoach are profiteering from their own strike and will be putting on 30 extra buses, but passengers will be charged £3 for a single ticket and no passes/concessions will be valid. :hihi::hihi:

It does beg the question, why if they can fund this along with the daytime replacement buses, that they couldn't have avoided this situation and called the strike off by placing an acceptable offer to their staff. These additional drivers and vehicles that are coming from Manchester won't have come cheap!

All I want to know is, am I supposed to condemn people from Manchester as scabs . . .

Also it appears that the trams in Manchester are now following Sheffield's lead and also voting for strike action over the August Bank Holiday/Manchester Pride weekend in late August. However they have been offered a 3.3% pay increase onto their already £29,000pa salary. When taking this into account, it's interesting to see why Supertram staff are voting overwhelmingly to strike when they are on a reported £23,000pa salary for drivers and £20,000pa salary for conductors...

. . . or do I praise them for showing solidarity with Sheffield workers ?

Please advise.

My opinion but - we have a big weekend ahead called tramlines. So they decide it is a good time to strike. I support the cause but why disrupt something that has become a major event that has brought recognition to the city. Why kill an event that is named after the network. I'll probably get slated but I don't give a damn. Hope public opinion turns against you!