The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

1 minute ago, apelike said:

As someone on here frequently states.. "You bought it, you own it" and the same goes for farmers as the majority voted for brexit.

True. But unlike some on here, I'd give them a second vote about it.

How about you?

Edited by L00b

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

True. But unlike some on here, I'd give them a second vote about it.

How about you?

Quite prepared to allow a second vote if parliament agree to holding one.. :) But what happens if its a reverse of the last one with 51.9% voting remain and 48.1% voting leave.. Do we then have a re-run?.. But I first doubt very much that parliament will have the balls to hold another.

Edited by apelike

30 minutes ago, apelike said:

Quite prepared to allow a second vote if parliament agree to holding one.. :) But what happens if its a reverse of the last one with 51.9% voting remain and 48.1% voting leave.. Do we then have a re-run?.. But I first doubt very much that parliament will have the balls to hold another.

Put aside that such a referendum wouldn't be a re-run of the first ("in or out of the EU?"), but about whether to accept the withdrawal agreement (Brexit on negotiated terms) or withdraw Art.50 (no Brexit on negotiated terms), then if that reversal occurred, irrespective of the differential, what happens next would be for the electorate to decide, at the 2019GE that would inevitably follow: at least, none of the (main parties') manifestos would be about Brexiting (again) or a 3rd referendum.

I doubt that the 2nd referendum will happen. Nothing to do with Parliament's nether regions; all to do with the continuing political deadlock (two-sided: pro/anti Brexit tories; pro/anti Brexit Labour) hand-in-hand with the timescale left (even with an extension to Art.50, unlikely to be granted beyond May'19: not enough time for new Ref.Act with debates, campaigns, vote, acting upon outcome).

2 hours ago, apelike said:

"You bought it, you own it" and the same goes for farmers as the majority voted for brexit.

They did??  Seems abit counter-intuitive considering where alot of their casual labour originates.

I really hope they don't start whinging when their products are subject to tariffs.

12 minutes ago, geared said:

I really hope they don't start whinging when their products are subject to tariffs.

I like this quoted from the link that Magilla gave:

“Forty per cent of our lamb goes to Europe, for just one example. We’re not going to suddenly start eating more lamb here. If we don’t have that export market, what happens to it?”

Maybe the farmers could actually put the UK prices down to benefit the UK customers to get them eating more Lamb instead of relying on the high premium prices it sells for it in the EU. What the NFU are really worried about now is that the farmers profits will take a bashing.

We could see if the Chinses want to buy our meat.  A few years ago various food items increased in price and I read that this was due to a rapidly growing middle class emerging in China, there was a demand for British red meat and other goods.  

This was as I said a few years ago and things may have changed since them.

Edited by hauxwell

35 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

We could see if the Chinses want to buy our meat.  A few years ago various food items increased in price and I read that this was due to a rapidly growing middle class emerging in China, there was a demand for British red meat and other goods.  

This was as I said a few years ago and things may have changed since them.

They'd get lamb from NZ surely. Far less hassle to transport from NZ than the UK.

Going back to Universities (and the letter issued by leading HE folks). Academics are already running, they started as soon as Brexit hit. 

That loss isn't measured in money, it is measured in knowledge. The UK is experiencing a massive brain-drain already. A friend who organises 'knowledge exchange' for Graphene in the Netherlands commented that if Brexit had been 10 years earlier, Graphene would be considered a Dutch invention. It went to the Brits because the Uni of Manchester managed to organise the funding.

Estimated income for Graphene to the UK? Billions. Now? Not so much.

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

The UK is experiencing a massive brain-drain already. A friend who organises 'knowledge exchange' for Graphene in the Netherlands commented that if Brexit had been 10 years earlier, Graphene would be considered a Dutch invention. It went to the Brits because the Uni of Manchester managed to organise the funding.

Estimated income for Graphene to the UK? Billions. Now? Not so much.

Graphene is not an invention and the actual Nobel prize went to two Russians (them again) for their work in the rediscovery and isolation of one of its forms at the Manchester Uni. Manchester Uni in a sense didnt fund the research either as it was almost a serendipitous discovery that they made after their normal UNI work in a Fridy night experiments session. Nothing actually went to the Brits either.. 

As for the estimated loss to the UK of £billions that is just hype as it could not be patented by the Uni and it potential to make money seems limited.

Since then the EU have jumped on the bandwagon with its €1 billion Graphene Flagship Initiative. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene_Flagship

Edited by apelike