The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

The Labour MP for south Stoke who is a remainer but whose constituents voted overwhelmingly for leaving said that any attempt by the Labour Party to change the 2016 result would be a total betrayal and leave it unelectable for a generation.

Firstly, the Labour MP for south Stoke has to say that if he wants to be reelected.

Secondly, 65% of Labour voters voted to remain, so given that you can't please all of the people all of the time you go with the majority.

Corbyn and McDonnell are both Eurosceptics and like other Brexiteers, they are terrified of a second referendum as they know that the result will go against them. It has nothing to do with the votes of Labour supporters in Leave constituencies as every Labour vote lost will be replaced by a Conservative and Lib Dem vote if Labour promised to scrap Brexit.

Firstly, the Labour MP for south Stoke has to say that if he wants to be reelected.

Secondly, 65% of Labour voters voted to remain, so given that you can't please all of the people all of the time you go with the majority.

Corbyn and McDonnell are both Eurosceptics and like other Brexiteers, they are terrified of a second referendum as they know that the result will go against them. It has nothing to do with the votes of Labour supporters in Leave constituencies as every Labour vote lost will be replaced by a Conservative and Lib Dem vote if Labour promised to scrap Brexit.

I don't care where you get those figures but they don't seem right me at all.

So why at the last election, did corbyn make possibly the most catastrophic decision in the history of British politics and go on the pro-leave ticket? Judging on those figures he's only 3 percent of the very much pro remain lib dems! The only reason I can think of is that he'd lose the die hard labour seats and of course, when he looks in the mirror at night he knows he's more pro leave than Boris Johnson.

I can't see what's not right about them. They have been in the public domain for over two years now.

They were also referred to several times on last night's C4 News while discussing Labour's motions on another Brexit vote. They were also repeated on various BBC News discussions about the Labour conference.

I can't see what's not right about them. They have been in the public domain for over two years now.

They were also referred to several times on last night's C4 News while discussing Labour's motions on another Brexit vote. They were also repeated on various BBC News discussions about the Labour conference.

I know, but you look at the constituencies who really voted leave a lot were labour. But given those figures it makes corbyns path over the last two years absolutely mystifying.

Labour tend to have younger voters, whilst the vote leave brigade tend to be older.

---------- Post added 24-09-2018 at 20:54 ----------

According to Electoral Commission's provisional figured published ahead of the EU referendum there were 46,000,197 people "eligible and registered" to vote in the May 2016 referendum.

17,410,742 voted to leave the EU, around 36%

Edited by El Cid

I know, but you look at the constituencies who really voted leave a lot were labour. But given those figures it makes corbyns path over the last two years absolutely mystifying.

Yes but in those Labour constituencies the Leave vote was made up of Conservatives, UKippers and nationalist party supporters as well as Labour.

Nothing mystifying at all about Corbyn's path over the last two years as he is a diehard Eurosceptic and could throw up his hands and say 'Oh well, the people have voted" and step back and watch the Tories try to do the impossible in negotiations.

For a supposedly political animal, Corbyn is tactically very suspect. It is inevitable that the election of a left of centre Labour government would lead to a run on the pound forcing a chancellor to introduce controls probably within hours of the victory. Not an insurmountable problem but not a good start to a radical agenda.

If Labour stood on a 'sack off Brexit' manifesto and won a workable majority, the sigh of relief in world markets, particularly the financial markets, would give sterling possibly the biggest shot in the arm in its history. So not only would a left of centre Labour government come to power but it would come to power where they would have a ton of money to carry out their renationalisation promises in one term rather than two. A win win for McDonnell. And remember, Labour standing on a repeal Atricle 50 ticket would give a massive boost to UKIP who would split the Tory vote. Yes, Labour supporters in Leave constituencies may well vote UKIP but all that would do is ensure a Labour victory.

This is possibly the only time in modern history when this could happen. If I can see it, why can't Corbyn? :suspect:

Yes but in those Labour constituencies the Leave vote was made up of Conservatives, UKippers and nationalist party supporters as well as Labour.

Nothing mystifying at all about Corbyn's path over the last two years as he is a diehard Eurosceptic and could throw up his hands and say 'Oh well, the people have voted" and step back and watch the Tories try to do the impossible in negotiations.

For a supposedly political animal, Corbyn is tactically very suspect. It is inevitable that the election of a left of centre Labour government would lead to a run on the pound forcing a chancellor to introduce controls probably within hours of the victory. Not an insurmountable problem but not a good start to a radical agenda.

If Labour stood on a 'sack off Brexit' manifesto and won a workable majority, the sigh of relief in world markets, particularly the financial markets, would give sterling possibly the biggest shot in the arm in its history. So not only would a left of centre Labour government come to power but it would come to power where they would have a ton of money to carry out their renationalisation promises in one term rather than two. A win win for McDonnell. And remember, Labour standing on a repeal Atricle 50 ticket would give a massive boost to UKIP who would split the Tory vote. Yes, Labour supporters in Leave constituencies may well vote UKIP but all that would do is ensure a Labour victory.

This is possibly the only time in modern history when this could happen. If I can see it, why can't Corbyn? :suspect:

He's hoping for a general election - the tories won't make that mistake again and certainly not before brexit is signed and sealed. And once it's signed and sealed corbyn can't do much about it can he?

That data is two years old......

There is the whole electorate to think about. Labour cannot win with just their own supporters in a general election.

---------- Post added 24-09-2018 at 21:28 ----------

He's hoping for a general election - the tories won't make that mistake again and certainly not before brexit is signed and sealed. And once it's signed and sealed corbyn can't do much about it can he?

The parliamentary arithmetic doesn't allow for that to happen. Brexit as it stands will not be signed.