The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

The details of the poll are in the link (if it still works). I believe it was over a thousand people.

You either believe in polls, or you don't. I believe a poll of over a thousand people more than I do you guessing that 80% of the people asked don't know what the options meant, especially as the poll data is very clear that the different options were explained to the people being asked.

If Remain was so popular, you'd think that staying in the EU as is would have had a much higher result.

There is a proviso in the blurb on there

"One might view the fact that only 16% selected remaining in the EU on our current terms as a headline in itself. However, readers should be cautious when interpreting this figure. We certainly cannot conclude that only 16% of voters would now back remaining in the EU in an in-out scenario. This is not the question that was put to respondents of this poll."

But a simple majority is not enough for you regarding the June 2016 People's Vote.

Is that because you didn't get the result you wanted on that occasion?

Try reading what I said again about the reason why I think a second vote is advisable and it isn’t because of the size of the majority.

The campaign for a second referendum is a front for big business to reverse the democratic decision of over 17 million voters to leave the EU. It is a grubby little campaign that stains democracy as the result of the June 2016 People's Vote has not yet been implemented or even respected.
If it makes you sleep better at night, by all means keep telling yourself all that.

I'm certainly glad that you recognise it was sovereign elected British governments that introduced legislation for paid holidays, women's suffrage, the creation of the NHS and various equality acts in the UK - some Remainers on here have claimed that it was the neoliberal EU that brought them about!
I’m certainly glad that you now admit your earlier post about “multiple votes used by dictators and sycophants” was just guff.

Leaver or not, if you stick to facts (real verifiable ones, not merely assertions mislabelled as ‘FACT’ ;):hihi:) with objectivity, you’ll find me quite open-minded and reasonable in debate. Shouty sloganeering just demeans you and all those posters who resort to it.

There is a proviso in the blurb on there

"One might view the fact that only 16% selected remaining in the EU on our current terms as a headline in itself. However, readers should be cautious when interpreting this figure. We certainly cannot conclude that only 16% of voters would now back remaining in the EU in an in-out scenario. This is not the question that was put to respondents of this poll."

Indeed, and I'm not shying from that. My point is that of those people that would like to remain in the EU, not many would like to keep the current relationship the UK has with the EU. Else they would have said so in the poll instead of deciding on alternative styles of being part of the EU.

If it was just a in/out poll, then all those in this poll that have voted 'remain but..' would just plump for 'in' which is what that proviso states.

If you believe that the Remain side didn't tell any lies, with its completely bogus 'Project Fear' strategy to scare people into voting to support the EU

How can anyone still bang on about Project Fear and keep a straight face?

Not only has every credible economic forecaster predicted serious damage to the UK economy even leaving with a deal, but so has pretty much every major business in the UK and Europe.

For goodness sake, even the government's own reports which they desperately tried to hide from us, say that at best, leaving the EU will badly damage the UK economy.

Let's look at it another way. Can you point me in the direction of one single credible economic forecast which says that leaving the EU will be good for the UK economy?

How can anyone still bang on about Project Fear and keep a straight face?

Not only has every credible economic forecaster predicted serious damage to the UK economy even leaving with a deal, but so has pretty much every major business in the UK and Europe.

For goodness sake, even the government's own reports which they desperately tried to hide from us, say that at best, leaving the EU will badly damage the UK economy.

Let's look at it another way. Can you point me in the direction of one single credible economic forecast which says that leaving the EU will be good for the UK economy?

Jacob Ress Mogg, does he count?

Meanwhile, back in project reality dawns: UK appoints food supplies minister amid fears of no-deal Brexit

The government has appointed a minister to oversee the protection of food supplies through the Brexit process amid rising concerns about the effect of a no-deal departure from the European Union.

Brexiters want the world to turn back to 1953 and rationing hadn't ended by then. Just think how happy they'll be if it comes back. :)

Meanwhile, back in project reality dawns: UK appoints food supplies minister amid fears of no-deal Brexit
Does his department & staffing budget comes out of the £350m per week the U.K. is not getting?

What about that £9m lot?

Brexiters want the world to turn back to 1953 and rationing hadn't ended by then. Just think how happy they'll be if it comes back. :)
Indeed, and that was such a pleasant time for ethnic minorities :twisted:

Anyway, little-know fact of the day: today a square in Brussels was renamed after Jo Cox, in her honour and remembrance for when she lived there :)That is respect, and unity.

Edited by L00b