The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

One thing to remeber with what we pay in to the EU and 'get back' is this. We pay in, then we 'get back' money for projects that are EU decided. Much like handing a proportion of your wages to someone else to spend for you on things they decide are best for you.

I'd rather us keep that money and it be spent by our own government, whether it be Labour / Green / Whoever i.e. our taxes.being spent by our representatives based on what our electorate has decided what our priorities are.

and where do you think our Tory government would prefer to spend money ?

On extending the M67 between Manchester and Sheffield, to improve journey times between two major Northern cities ?

Or spend £tens of billions on providing Crossrail 2 to the South East ?

So you make no allowance for CAP / farming subsidies, without which farming in the UK is completely unviable.

You make no allowance for a huge amount of scientific research funding.

You make no allowance for the regional development funds, which, for one thing, have help south Yorkshire *massively* (no AMP, or Boeing, or McLaren, or Rolls-Royce, etc)

You make no allowance for the cost of a really useful centralised bureaucracy.

You make no allowance for tariff-free trade that extends far beyond the boundaries of the EU.

You make no allowance for many expensive, vital processes that we are going to have to replace, whilst at the same time losing the best trade deal ever.

There is no Brexit dividend. I can't quit my job and tell my wife that we'll be fine - think of the £20/week we'll save on petrol.

Your list falls at the first hurdle,

"Why is EU agriculture policy controversial in the UK?

The UK gets much less from the CAP than it contributes.

But the CAP has also been criticised for encouraging farming practices that damage the environment. One indicator of the degree of environmental damage is the dramatic decline in farmland birds in recent decades. What is impossible to judge is what would have happened under potential alternative policies.

The CAP benefits large landowners just for owning more land. EU protectionism on agriculture has been criticised for the costs it imposes on consumers through higher food prices and the costs it imposes on developing countries by making it difficult for them to compete with EU farmers."

Without the EU subsidies, farming in the UK is not financially viable.

The CAP is far from perfect. But we'll have to cough up the money to continue financially supporting the farmers.

Edited by ads36

Once again do I have to point out that 25% of the people (38% of the electorate) voted to leave?

The majority of 'the people' DID NOT vote to leave.

You could just as easily say that the majority of "the people" DID NOT vote to stay either.

You could just as easily say that the majority of "the people" DID NOT vote to stay either.

You have to to forgive Top Cat because he seems to have a repetitive misunderstanding problem, which has a side effective of repeating an irrelevant statistic regarding the UK and Global democratic process. The fact which Top Cat ignores is only votes actually cast count.

Edited by Lockdoctor

and where do you think our Tory government would prefer to spend money ?

On extending the M67 between Manchester and Sheffield, to improve journey times between two major Northern cities ?

Or spend £tens of billions on providing Crossrail 2 to the South East ?

So, vote them out.

We should be making sure our elected officials do what we want with our money. Delegating the responsibility to the EU isn't the answer.