The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

There's no confirmation bias. Our say, through MEPs is 9% in the European parliament. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All power centred in the UK gives UK voters more democratic influence.

Rather than say 'go and look it up' could you craft some sentences yourself to explain why you think that's a wrong opinion.

Until yesterday you thought it was 1/28

So did you just not bother finding out what the true number of UK MEPs was, or did your confirmation bias make it easier to believe that it was 1/28?

While were at it, what metric are you using to determine 'democratic influence'?

There's no confirmation bias. Our say, through MEPs is 9% in the European parliament. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All power centred in the UK gives UK voters more democratic influence.

Rather than say 'go and look it up' could you craft some sentences yourself to explain why you think that's a wrong opinion?

---------- Post added 10-10-2018 at 09:37 ----------

I agree, influencing Westminster is very difficult. Influencing Brussells is even harder (impossible?). I can't see MEPs quaking in their boots about losing their seat. At least with government in Westminster there exists the worry that the local MP can lose their seat, and consequently the governing party lose control of parliament.

I'd rather have more regionalised decison making and spending powers, not cetralised power, going further removed from the voter base.

Spare a thought for anyone who had Nigel farage as their MEP. He wouldn't have done anything as he was so rarely there.

Until yesterday you thought it was 1/28

So did you just not bother finding out what the true number of UK MEPs was, or did your confirmation bias make it easier to believe that it was 1/28?

While were at it, what metric are you using to determine 'democratic influence'?

ooh, I made a mistake, we have a whopping 9% of MPs rather than the paltry 1/28 I first said.

So, are you going to explain why you think that leaves us in a good position???

ooh, I made a mistake, we have a whopping 9% of MPs rather than the paltry 1/28 I first said.

It's 3 times better than you thought at first... we're about the third largest contingent..

I agree, influencing Westminster is very difficult. Influencing Brussells is even harder (impossible?). I can't see MEPs quaking in their boots about losing their seat.

If the EU was as easy to influence as Westminster we would not have clean air in our cities, because the EURO emissions standards for car and lorries would not exist.

That would mean thousands of people lives would be cut short.

It's proportional representation. What percentage of UK MEPs would you have thought would be more appropriate?

Also, once again, what metric are you using to determine 'democratic influence'?

I'm interested how you stack one against the other, especially when your have to consider the House of Lords.

It's proportional representation. What percentage of UK MEPs would you have thought would be more appropriate?

Also, once again, what metric are you using to determine 'democratic influence'?

I'm interested how you stack one against the other, especially when your have to consider the House of Lords.

Maybe it is, but why is it so hard to see that the UK representation in the EU parliament is 9%, whereas in our own it is 100%. Yours and my influence is drastically less. We have less democratic influence over laws that will affect us. I don't want that. You might do.

Maybe it is, but why is it so hard to see that the UK representation in the EU parliament is 9%, whereas in our own it is 100%. Yours and my influence is drastically less. We have less democratic influence over laws that will affect us. I don't want that. You might do.

You can only vote for 1MP that's 1 in 650........ how much influence do you have again?

If the EU was as easy to influence as Westminster we would not have clean air in our cities, because the EURO emissions standards for car and lorries would not exist.

That would mean thousands of people lives would be cut short.

That's a good standard. But it is still imposed on us by an external authority, that we have little democratic sway over.

Because we don't like what our own government is doing, is the solution to get another external body to overule it? I think we should be making our own decisons and holding our own representatives to account, here. If you want stronger environmental protections, vote for a party that is going to bring them. If you want better workers rights, vote for a party that's going to bring them. Don't expect someone else to do it for you.

---------- Post added 10-10-2018 at 12:13 ----------

You can only vote for 1MP that's 1 in 650........ how much influence do you have again?

100% . All those MPs are UK representatives, voting on UK legislation.

They can also propose legislation, EU legislation is proposed by the commission and OK'd by EU parliament.

Once again, for the third time.

What metric are you using to determine 'democratic influence'?