The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Regardless of how it was handled, their 92% vote in favour of leaving Spain had more legitimacy than our 38% vote to leave the EU.

Hang on a minute. In the Catalan referendum it was 92% of the voter turnout for "Yes" with a voter turnout of 43% of registered voters.

In the UK referendum it was 51.89% of the voter turnout for "Leave" with a voter turnout of 72.21% of registered voters.

I would say that when you get a much higher voter turnout despite the percentages being lower it actually has more legitimacy.

I would say that when you get a much higher voter turnout despite the percentages being lower it actually has more legitimacy.

That is hard to argue when as an absolute percentage of all voters, the Catalan independence support was 40% of all Catalan voters and Leave support was only 38% of all UK voters.

The big difference in Spain last year was that the turnout was severely reduced not only because the vote was declared illegal by the Spanish government which put many people off, but pro-Madrid national police blockaded some polling stations to prevent people from voting.

But it also looks like the DUP will start throwing spanners in the works if they don't like it.

DUP 'could vote against the Budget' over Brexit deal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45806063

Yes, I see the political wing of the Loyalist paramilitaries are throwing their toys out of the pram if they don't get their own way.

Is this the 'coalition of chaos' that May warned us all about before the last election?

Yes, I see the political wing of the Loyalist paramilitaries

It is interesting to compare how much crap Corbyn got for laying a wreath at a memorial which may or may not have been where members of the Black September group had been buried (it turns out that they weren't), yet Teresa May is doing political deals with the political apologists for the Shankill Butchers who cut their victims to pieces before finally killing them without any comment.

Hypocrisy in the extreme, not just from May and Co but also from the media who choose to overlook this inconvenient fact.

The Prime Minister of Japan seems to have faith in the UK economy after Brexit.

Not sure thats quite what he's saying :?

He says we can join The Trans Pacific Partnership with open arms after we leave. Although the UK loses its role as a gateway to Europe it would retain its global strength, he goes on to say.

The UK trades more with Ireland than we do with the largest economy in the TPP, Japan. So it doesn't seem like an equitable prospect.

In reality, Abe's annnouncement is an indication of how bad he thinks things could get for the UK.

Presumably though, since disputes in the TPP won't be ruled on by UK courts, we can assume the "sovereignty" argument has bit the dust?

Now that’s what I call a sensible talking PM.

Indeed, he also re-iterated that the majority of Japanese companies and investment in the UK was as a direct result of our EU membership, and those businesses won't be staying without that access :?

Edited by Magilla

.mPresumably though, since disputes in the TPP won't be ruled on by UK courts, we can assume the "sovereignty" argument has bit the dust?

Indeed, he also re-iterated that the majority of Japanese companies and investment in the UK was as a direct result of our EU membership, and those businesses won't be staying without that access :?

Topically, on the combined points of (Parliament’s) sovereignty, democracy and ‘EU access’, any Leaver care to comment about this? Yes indeed, that is your government gagging its own citizens to hide its incompetence.

I’ve mentioned it before in here, back in March (IIRC) when the government’s use of these NDAs with industry was first reported. Didn’t take a genius -or a crystal ball- to figure out why they were doing it :roll: The point was studiously ignored, of course.

Edited by L00b

That is hard to argue when as an absolute percentage of all voters, the Catalan independence support was 40% of all Catalan voters and Leave support was only 38% of all UK voters.

The big difference in Spain last year was that the turnout was severely reduced not only because the vote was declared illegal by the Spanish government which put many people off, but pro-Madrid national police blockaded some polling stations to prevent people from voting.

It was pointless anyone against Catalan becoming independent voting in an illegal referendum.

It was pointless anyone against Catalan becoming independent voting in an illegal referendum.

The majority of people in both the Basque Country and Catalonia have wanted independence for decades but as both regions are among the wealthiest areas of Spain, the government in Madid has always resisted independence for either region.

That is why the Basques took up arms against the Spanish government and the Catalans held their own 'illegal' referendums.

The majority of people in both the Basque Country and Catalonia have wanted independence for decades but as both regions are among the wealthiest areas of Spain, the government in Madid has always resisted independence for either region.

That is why the Basques took up arms against the Spanish government and the Catalans held their own 'illegal' referendums.

The way the referendum was quashed was a disgrace, and I fully support their right to have one. I also find the EU reaction to it disturbing.

But, the results of the referendum that did 'happen' are in truth meaningless. Obviously only an ardent Independance supporter would run risk of the police lines to vote.