The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

You fail to realise that he said that in regard to the EU in that the members cannot change their mind once a member, or given very little leeway in being able to do so.

Ooohhh, you must have a short memory.

Veto - a constitutional right to reject a decision or proposal made by a lawmaking body.

Yep, we had a veto

Also, remember how the UK didn't take up the Euro?

Edited by SnailyBoy

It's easy to do when you're retired, you've long owned your own property, the economy basically doesn't matter to you as your pension is secure, you don't give a stuff about your grandchildren's future and you rarely travel outside Sheffield anyway.

It seem like many remainers on here who are not happy about Brexit you do have one thing in common, you are annoyed that your pensions may be affected when others may be secure and that your generous incomes may fade a bit. I doubt you have children or grandchildren either. To sum it up you are annoyed that Brexit will affect you financially hence being so bitter.

It seem like many remainers on here who are not happy about Brexit you do have one thing in common, you are annoyed that your pensions may be affected when others may be secure and that your generous incomes may fade a bit. I doubt you have children or grandchildren either. To sum it up you are annoyed that Brexit will affect you financially hence being so bitter.

I've got to carry on working for a good few years yet and face whatever the economy hits me with.

My kids are going to face the next 50 years of seeing if it was all worth it.

So yeah, I'm bitter.

I've a feeling you'll be long gone when the real impact kicks in.

Ooohhh, you must have a short memory.

Veto - a constitutional right to reject a decision or proposal made by a lawmaking body.

Yep, we had a veto

Ooohhh it seems like you dont understand what was written. A veto is about rejecting new acts, laws or proposals, its not about change after the event.

Quote:

"members cannot change their mind once a member"

For the simple reason it can then be subject to a veto stopping any change.

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 23:06 ----------

I've a feeling you'll be long gone when the real impact kicks in.

Sorry to disappoint you, or Cyclone for that matter :), as barring an accident I shall be here for many years yet!

Edited by Dromedary

Ooohhh it seems like you dont understand what was written. A veto is about rejecting new acts, laws or proposals, its not about change after the event.

Quote:

"members cannot change their mind once a member"

For the simple reason it can then be subject to a veto stopping any change.

lol, that makes no sense, quoting what you already said doesn't suddenly make it any clearer.

What are you talking about?

I doubt you have children or grandchildren either. To sum it up you are annoyed that Brexit will affect you financially hence being so bitter.

Both my children had the automatic right to live and work in the same country as their cousins, aunts and uncles whipped out from under their noses, and they're not happy about it.

Under no deal brexit, my life of 48 years in the UK is in doubt and no-one really cares. Why should they, but you can't expect me anything else than pretty ticked off.

This was the old voting against the young, and the young weren't even given a vote.

Anyone who claims the referendum conformed to any notions of fairness or natural justice is out to lunch. A child can see that.

But hey, "control", £350m a week for the NHS, blue passports, more fish and the ability to vote your decision makers out of office (who will, unsurprisingly be replaced by very similar decision makers), more immigrants from the commonwealth, and fewer from the EU.

Whoopee.

It's obviously going to all work out beautifully when we leave in 6 months.

Because there's a nice clear plan and roadmap in place, and parliament is behind the PM.

Note that the official advice from HM Govt, to UK registered companies that deal primarily with the EU, in the event of a no deal Brexit, is to relocate.

No not really. Personally I'm going to be absolutely fine. Many remainers will be, and my pensionable years are still pretty far away.

But then we have the advantage (generally) of a higher level of education and younger age.

Apparently you're not that old, so whilst I could still be wrong, there's a good chance that if you voted for brexit then you're educated to only GCSE or maybe A-Level.

That ship sailed months ago SFAIC.

I helped pay for the UK’s share of the 2008 GFC, even though I had no part in it. We didn’t stay in Ireland to help them pay for their share of the 2008 GFC, since we’d had no part in it and it was going to be significantly more [you really should have witnessed how they were going at the credit bubble pre-‘08]. It was just common sense to share in the U.K. effort, since we lived in the U.K. and had a vested interest in maintaining social cohesion & getting the place going. Investments, a house, full-fat NI & income tax at top rate, healthy consumption & patronage of local shops & services, etc.

I’m not paying for Brexit, and have cleared every last bit of cash, private pensions, property and other assets out of the U.K. Brexit was nonsensical, xenophobic and personal (both in private & professional terms); and I didn’t even get a vote about it. It was foisted on us. So we had the wrong end of multi-six figs of personal wealth invested in the U.K. until around May 2018, and now we’re down to a £250 slush fund in a current account, for bit-spend (if and) when we visit family.

Brexit would have affected us financially. I made sure it won’t. Nothing left to grab by the asset strippers on the right, nor by the wealth confiscators on the left, and as many of those who were most supported by the taxation of that wealth (benefit claimants, OAPs, NHS users,...) voted for Brexit, it is only fair that they face the consequences of their action. No bitterness whatsoever there, just heaps of Schadenfreude now.

These days, I’m only bitter -still- at the sheer senselessness of Brexit. For the rest, you won, and I’m well over it: I’m that guy pointing and laughing at the back :thumbsup:

Edited by L00b