The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

I saw the EU official on television this morning. I listened to what he said. Did you see and listen to the EU official on television this morning?

No I didn't, so what, how does it change the GFA?

Leaving this appeal to authority you've latched onto, please explain again why you don't care about the GFA and the potential consequences to the population of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland if it isn't adhered to?

I have already stated I don't care about the Good Friday Agreement. I don't need educating about what happened before the Good Friday Agreement was signed. The Northern Irish politicians can't even agree amongst themselves to restore the Northern Ireland Assemble while we are still in the EU.

The responses to your first 2 sentences are

You should do.

You obviously do.

No I didn't, so what, how does it change the GFA?

Leaving this appeal to authority you've latched onto, please explain again why you don't care about the GFA and the potential consequences to the population of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland if it isn't adhered to?

If you didn't see the EU official then why were you suggesting he cared about and understood the reasons the Good Friday Agreement was signed?

Already explained that the Good Friday Agreement wasn't the reason why I voted to remain in the EU. Did you vote to remain in the EU because you were concerned about the potential consequences to the population of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland if it isn't adhered to?

If the Good Friday Agreement is the most important thing for the people of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland then the Rep of Ireland should offer to leave the EU.

If you didn't see the EU official then why were you suggesting he cared about and understood the reasons the Good Friday Agreement was signed?

Already explained that the Good Friday Agreement wasn't the reason why I voted to remain in the EU. Did you vote to remain in the EU because you were concerned about the potential consequences to the population of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland if it isn't adhered to?

If the Good Friday Agreement is the most important thing for the people of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland then the Rep of Ireland should offer to leave the EU.

Firstly, I didn't suggest that the official cared and understood, I suggested they 'should' care, you said the official didn't care.

Secondly, that doesn't answer the question, how you or I voted doesn't matter.

So here we go again, why don't you care about the GFA and the potential consequences to the population of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland if it isn't adhered to?

Firstly, I didn't suggest that the official cared and understood, I suggested they 'should' care, you said the official didn't care.

Secondly, that doesn't answer the question, how you or I voted doesn't matter.

So here we go again, why don't you care about the GFA and the potential consequences to the population of the Rep of Ireland/Northern Ireland if it isn't adhered to?

I can only assume when you voted to remain in the EU the Good Friday Agreement didn't matter to you, but it does matter to you now. The reason why the Good Friday Agreement matters to you now is because it is making it difficult for the democratic wishes of the whole of the UK people, who voted to leave the EU from being carried out. The people who voted to leave the EU also include people from Northern Ireland, who voted to leave the EU.

The reason why I don't care about the Good Friday Agreement don't matter.

The people of the Rep of Ireland overwhelmingly do not wish to leave the EU, according to any poll you care to look up. There’s been a few, including recent ones. Consistently over 80% remain.

The people of Northern Ireland voted majoritarily to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum.

How do you square those democratic wishes -validated at the ballot box for the people of Northern Ireland- with your opinion as to what they should do?

In your reply, don’t forget to factor the sovereignty of the people of the Rep of Ireland (and I mean that exactly: in the RoI, it’s the people who are sovereign, not the Dail), and the absence thereof for the people of Northern Ireland :)

Edited by L00b

I can only assume when you voted to remain in the EU the Good Friday Agreement didn't matter to you, but it does matter to you now. The reason why the Good Friday Agreement matters to you now is because it is making it difficult for the democratic wishes of the whole of the UK people, who voted to leave the EU from being carried out. The people who voted to leave the EU also include people from Northern Ireland, who voted to leave the EU.

The reason why I don't care about the Good Friday Agreement don't matter.

Come on, why don't you care about the GFA?

The people of the Rep of Ireland overwhelmingly do not wish to leave the EU, according to any poll you care to look up. There’s been a few, including recent ones. Consistently over 80% remain.

The people of Northern Ireland voted majoritarily to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum.

How do you square those democratic wishes -validated at the ballot box for the people of Northern Ireland- with your opinion as to what they should do?

In your reply, don’t forget to factor the sovereignty of the people of the Rep of Ireland (and I mean that exactly: in the RoI, it’s the people who are sovereign, not the Dail), and the absence thereof for the people of Northern Ireland :)

I am not disputing what you write. However there are posters here who don't respect the democratic EU referendum result, who are making out the Good Friday Agreement is the most important thing since sliced bread. If that is the case then logic states the Good Friday Agreement is more important to the people of the Republic of Ireland then membership of the EU. Those same people, who don't respect the democratic EU referendum result would look for another excuse for the democratically referendum result not being honoured, even if the Republic of Ireland decided to leave the EU, which would solve the Irish border issue.

I am not disputing what you write. However there are posters here who don't respect the democratic EU referendum result, who are making out the Good Friday Agreement is the most important thing since sliced bread. If that is the case then logic states the Good Friday Agreement is more important to the people of the Republic of Ireland then membership of the EU. Those same people, who don't respect the democratic EU referendum result would look for another excuse for the democratically referendum result not being honoured, even if the Republic of Ireland decided to leave the EU, which would solve the Irish border issue.

Whatever you think it's a huge stumbling block...seems your democracy only works if you reckon it's in your favour... still no comment on this?

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/the_10_promises_against_which_any_brexit_deal_must_be_judged?utm_campaign=17_oct_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_source=in

Mmm, the GFA is pretty important to a lot of people ( both republican and unionist) but you don't care about the GFA

Why don't you care about the GFA?