The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

So you know, for an absolute fact, that when the UK, as the junior partner in a trade deal with India we won't end up with a huge amount of Indian graduates heading our way going for ANY job?

Look who is driving the bus. If Davis gets in, that's exactly what will happen. Now it might be dressed up differently but that's going to be the end result. Your opinion over trade deals means precisely nowt. You voted to leave the EU. What happens next is nothing to do with you and me.

I have no idea of the precise terms of future trade deals. The UK have a trade deficit with India and I don't accept the UK would be the junior partner. The UK have a trade surplus with the USA and I do acknowledge the UK are the junior partner to the USA.

I voted to remain in the EU. (sorry SnailyBoy)

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 11:36 ----------

Good.

They can have a taste of the “winner takes all” medicine they’ve been dispensing for the last 2 years to the 48%, the 5 million and the rest who couldn’t vote - all of whom, combined, outnumber them about 3 or 4 to 1.

And get a fundamental schooling in democracy in action (“winner takes all is not democracy”) at the same time.

Utter nonsense. It was a binary choice. We can't 48% stay in and 52% leave.

It has??? I doubt that was many then as I dont know of a country within the EU whose population could remotely be passed off as having black or brown faces. :huh:

funny that as there is a sizable and growing population of people of a certain political persuasion who keep banging on that almost every country in the EU is being taken over by said black and brown faces

I have no idea of the precise terms of future trade deals. The UK have a trade deficit with India and I don't accept the UK would be the junior partner. The UK have a trade surplus with the USA and I do acknowledge the UK are the junior partner to the USA.

I voted to remain in the EU. (sorry SnailyBoy)

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 11:36 ----------

What you accept post brexit means absolutely nothing. You've just enabled it. We've already dropped in the wealth rankings and they are moving up quickly.

Thanks for demonstrating my point :roll:

The referendum outcome could, and still can (...just), be implemented in any number of ways, ranging between EEA-Norway (acceptable to fair chunk of 48%ers) and ‘no deal’ (acceptable to fraction of 52%ers), without undermining its democratic mandate.

A preference for ‘this’ model or ‘that’ model on the scale, is only a matter of personal opinion, and irrelevant in democratic terms, until and unless such models are put through a vote (further ref, or GE manifesto).

But holding just one model on the scale to be ‘the’ model decided by the referendum, without any form of consideration for the balance of 52%ers, for the 48%ers nor for the rest of the non-voting country, that’s simply authoritarian. And given the stridence of the othering, I’ll push that boat out as far as ‘fascistic’.

Thankfully, there is no statistical evidence whatsoever, that there is any preference for a particular exit model amongst the Leave voters: they are far more fragmented about how to Brexit, relative to the 48%. Whereby, in a hypothetical further referendum about how to leave, with a remain option, remain would swing it for that fundamental reason plus a couple more (age pyramid attrition; cumulative information).

Edited by L00b

Thanks for demonstrating my point :roll:

The referendum outcome could, and still can (...just), be implemented in any number of ways, ranging between EEA-Norway (acceptable to fair chunk of 48%ers) and ‘no deal’ (acceptable to fraction of 52%ers), without undermining its democratic mandate.

A preference for ‘this’ model or ‘that’ model on the scale, is only a matter of personal opinion, and irrelevant in democratic terms, until and unless such models are put through a vote (further ref, or GE manifesto).

But holding just one model on the scale to be ‘the’ model decided by the referendum, without any form of consideration for the balance of 52%ers, for the 48%ers nor for the rest of the non-voting country, that’s simply authoritarian. And given the stridence of the othering, I’ll push that boat out as far as ‘fascistic’.

Thankfully, there is no statistical evidence whatsoever, that there is any preference for a particular exit model amongst the Leave voters: they are far more fragmented about how to Brexit, relative to the 48%. Whereby, in a hypothetical further referendum about how to leave, with a remain option, remain would swing it for that fundamental reason plus a couple more (age pyramid attrition; cumulative information).

It doesn't matter how much spin you put on the situation because it wont change the fact that leave won the EU referendum vote. Our Prime Minister who is a remain voter, has publicly stated any agreement which keeps the UK in the Customs Union or Single Market or both would make a mockery of the EU referendum vote. The democratic referendum result should be respected and honoured. At the moment a no deal looks like the only option for the referendum result to be respected.

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 12:20 ----------

What you accept post brexit means absolutely nothing. You've just enabled it. We've already dropped in the wealth rankings and they are moving up quickly.

Countries like India, Brazil and Russia are going to have larger economies regardless whether the UK remained or left the EU. I don't have a problem with poor countries getting richer.

Edited by Lockdoctor

It doesn't matter how much spin you put on the situation because it wont change the fact that leave won the EU referendum vote. Our Prime Minister who is a remain voter, has publicly stated any agreement which keeps the UK in the Customs Union or Single Market or both would make a mockery of the EU referendum vote. The democratic referendum result should be respected and honoured. At the moment a no deal looks like the only option for the referendum result to be respected.

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 12:20 ----------

Countries like India, Brazil and Russia are going to have larger economies regardless whether the UK remained or left the EU. I don't have a problem with poor countries getting richer.

That's ok, what about rich countries getting poorer?

Hi.. I'm back.. :D

Been absent because I had an accident, passed out, fell backwards, bashed head on corner of a wall, fractured skull, 3" gash on head, damaged neck and ribs. Lots of tests, MRI scans, x-rays, blood tests and soon to see a neurologist as something is amiss.

Not really been keeping up on much as wearing a neck brace/collar is (deleted).

Now where were we..:hihi:

and they will be passing us on our race to the bottom ;)

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 13:11 ----------

Hi.. I'm back.. :D

Been absent because I had an accident, passed out, fell backwards, bashed head on corner of a wall, fractured skull, 3" gash on head, damaged neck and ribs. Lots of tests, MRI scans, x-rays, blood tests and soon to see a neurologist as something is amiss.

Not really been keeping up on much as wearing a neck brace/collar is (deleted).

Now where were we..:hihi:

sorry to hear that fella, glad to see youre recovering

there is a sizable and growing population of people of a certain political persuasion who keep banging on that almost every country in the EU is being taken over by said black and brown faces

But did the brexit voters vote leave because of that. We also were kept being told that it was because of xenophobia as well which also does not wash. (with me that is)

BTW thanks! :)

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 13:18 ----------

Thankfully, there is no statistical evidence whatsoever, that there is any preference for a particular exit model amongst the Leave voters: they are far more fragmented about how to Brexit, relative to the 48%.

I very much agree. For me having a vote and voting leave was the deal. I'm sure most people who voted leave understand that what happens after that is up to the government. Given Cameron stated we would leave the EU without stating how.

Edited by apelike

That's ok, what about rich countries getting poorer?

None of us want to get poorer.

The average UK person has got poorer over the last few decades mainly due to the large rise in the price of houses in comparison to the rise in wages. The global financial crisis which happened ten years ago has also made the average UK person poorer in real terms. Time will tell, if leaving the EU will make the average UK person poorer, but being a member of the EU hasn't stopped the average UK person getting poorer as a consequence of the factors I have mentioned. It can be argued that freedom of movement of people has contributed to lower wages for the lower paid less skilled UK workers, making them poorer.