The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

I don't need to get over anything

It sounds like you do......

because I accept the referendum result and only stated what Cameron said regarding the Single Market.

... and as before, Cameron made promises he couldn't keep and is now gone.

You should accept that as well.

Edited by Magilla

There is no such thing as a hard brexit, only brexit. Why do you think leave voters want politicians who voted to leave the EU to be involved in Brexit negotiations rather than politicians, who voted to remain in the EU?

"An agreement where the UK would leave not only the EU but also the EU’s Single Market (of which non-EU countries are also members) and the EU Customs Union (of which non-EU countries are also members)".

Would you only accept that as a legitimate leaving of the EU?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Yet so many people, (including very educated ones) and many MEPs who should

Know more about the workings of the EU than most, think we should leave.

If you take a look at the polling data, the very educated (as you put it) voted overwhelmingly to remain.

Yet so many people, (including very educated ones) and many MEPs who should

Know more about the workings of the EU than most, think we should leave.

Propensity to vote Leave and the education level of the voter were in direct opposition....

"An agreement where the UK would leave not only the EU but also the EU’s Single Market (of which non-EU countries are also members) and the EU Customs Union (of which non-EU countries are also members)".

Would you only accept that as a legitimate leaving of the EU?

I am struggling to understand your point. I have stated that before the referendum vote, it was understood that if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would leave the single market and customs union. Both remain voters and leave voters understood that at the time. The UK will not be free to make their own trade agreements with non EU countries, if they remain in the Customs Union, which was one of the reasons and benefits for leaving the EU.

I am struggling to understand your point. I have stated that before the referendum vote, it was understood that if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would leave the single market and customs union.

A promise that was never backed up both in the act that allowed the referedum, or any official vote leave literature.

Both remain voters and leave voters understood that at the time.

Clearly, those leave voters who wanted to leave the EU but stay in the SM (as shown earlier) didn't think so. Maybe they actually read what Vote Leave were proposing rather than 'worse case' soundbites.

The UK will not be free to make their own trade agreements with non EU countries, if they remain in the Customs Union, which was one of the reasons and benefits for leaving the EU.

Doesn't seem to have stopped Germany trading with non-EU countries :suspect:

Edited by Magilla

I am struggling to understand your point. I have stated that before the referendum vote, it was understood that if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would leave the single market and customs union. Both remain voters and leave voters understood that at the time. The UK will not be free to make their own trade agreements with non EU countries, if they remain in the Customs Union, which was one of the reasons and benefits for leaving the EU.

Was it understood?

Not really. Not in any measurable or meaningful way.

I am struggling to understand your point. I have stated that before the referendum vote, it was understood that if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would leave the single market and customs union. Both remain voters and leave voters understood that at the time. The UK will not be free to make their own trade agreements with non EU countries, if they remain in the Customs Union, iswhich was one of the reasons and benefits for leaving the EU.

That’s a bit of history revisionism. There’s were plenty of claims regarding being able to access the single market

BoJo said in 2016 in the Telegraph

“This is a market on our doorstep, ready for further exploitation by British firms. The membership fee seems rather small for all that access. Why are we so determined to turn our back on it?”