The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

I never stated it was the EU fault only countering someones idea that the money given by the EU to various regeneration projects did a great deal to help the areas and people it was given to help. The reality is it didn't help regeneration or the people very much at all.

So not actually an argument against membership of the EU?

I never stated it was the EU fault only countering someones idea that the money given by the EU to various regeneration projects did a great deal to help the areas and people it was given to help. The reality is it didn't help regeneration or the people very much at all.

How do you work that out..do you have examples?

Did you know more people now work on the Orgreave site than worked on it when it was a coal mine/coking plant?

That's not helping much...

Those skilled lardy-de-dah educated types? No thank you. Brexiters don't want that nonsense. Or improved infrastructure around old coal fields either.

There are areas of Wales where EU investment matches, and in some cases exceeds, investment by some local or central government bodies.

Ironically these areas were among those with the highest proportion of leave voters in 2016, which backs up what I posted earlier about the leave vote having little to do with the EU, and more to do with feeling fed up and swallowing the narrative that immigrants were to blame for their plight. I'm sure I have mentioned before the edition of Newsnight from Ebbw Vale in 2016, where one leave voter interviewed, actually admitted to having no idea what the EU was even though she worked for an EU funded project. :suspect:

Anybody watch QT from Clacton last night? An area that voted 70% leave and it struck me how many of the audience were screaming for change: rents, housing jobs, wages, policing, sure start etc.... It’s a place on its backside desperate for change, and they’ve been sold and voted for the idea that Brexit will deliver that change. It’s so sad.

How have senior Brexiters got away with this?

Anybody watch QT from Clacton last night? An area that voted 70% leave and it struck me how many of the audience were screaming for change: rents, housing jobs, wages, policing, sure start etc.... It’s a place on its backside desperate for change, and they’ve been sold and voted for the idea that Brexit will deliver that change. It’s so sad.

How have senior Brexiters got away with this?

Clacton on its backside after 45 years of Common Market/ EU. Who would have thunk it! And people like you want them to vote for more of the same.

What a ridiculous sweeping statement. How can you claim such a thing without any evidence?

So you know what you need to do now......

Evidence time :)

I've give evidence of this before on the brexit threads so have a look back and see. But first here is one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-33360841

BTW does the digital region in South Yorkshire ring any alarm bells?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Region

So, to review, you're blaming the EU for giving (or rather giving back if you prefer) money to deprived regions and those regions not spending it properly. How much do you think Cornwall will get from a Tory government from 2020? More? The same? Less?

EU funding isn't perfect, I looked at getting some funding for a project about 15 years ago - not a lot if memory serves - and the hoops you had to jump through didn't make it worth for me at the time. But the money was there. I'll be very surprised if it's there in the future.