The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

If that comes to fruition, it's only because we have a Remoaner for a Prime Minister who has capitulated at every behest of the corrupt EU.

Angel1.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha No.

If it fails, it’ll be because your heroes Sir Nige’ and BoJo the Clown couldn’t organise a bunfight in a bakery and wasted two years screwing the country, and their mistresses.

Still, you won, right ?

The UK don't owe 40 billion.
You’re wrong again

Any figure agreed was for the purpose to move to the next stage of the withdrawal negotiations. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.
And Heinz means beans...err, no, I meant Brexit means Brexit...err, no, in light of today’s news about U.K. cold storage capacity, Brexit means beans :D Edited by L00b

The UK will only owe the amount mentioned, if a contract is mutually agreed and signed (Withdrawal agreement) It's basic business.

No, EU budgets are set years in advance if each contributor coughs up what they agreed to pay. In fact it is a legal agreement.

Yes, we can stick two fingers up and say 'tough! We're not going to pay it!' but that is like telling a bartender that you aren't going to pay your tab. The problem with that is you are unlikely to get a tab (or even be served) in all the other bars!

No, EU budgets are set years in advance if each contributor coughs up what they agreed to pay. In fact it is a legal agreement.

Yes, we can stick two fingers up and say 'tough! We're not going to pay it!' but that is like telling a bartender that you aren't going to pay your tab. The problem with that is you are unlikely to get a tab (or even be served) in all the other bars!

Not a legal fact at all. Nothing like your example. If the EU want the amount mentioned then they need make sure a withdrawal agreement is made between the EU and UK.

“Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”

Not a legal fact at all. Nothing like your example. If the EU want the amount mentioned then they need make sure a withdrawal agreement is made between the EU and UK.

“Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”

and as before, if we don’t honour our agreements and pay our bills, then we shouldn’t expect any nation to deal with us favourably again.

But you already knew that, which is why you voted to remain.

and as before, if we don’t honour our agreements and pay our bills, then we shouldn’t expect any nation to deal with us favourably again.

The UK government are planning on getting a transition deal that will effectively keep us in the EU until 2020 - which is when the divorce bill is supposed to cover up to. It's only relevant if we crash out without a deal.

Of course, I fully expect the brexiters to complain we are paying the EU club membership fees during the transition deal despite the fact that we will still be receiving the benefits of club membership.

The UK will only owe the amount mentioned, if a contract is mutually agreed and signed (Withdrawal agreement) It's basic business.
The UK reneging on its outstanding contributions would be a breach of contract. It’s basic law.

This has already been debated to death in this thread (IIRC) and definitely the earlier threads. The UK’s liability is clearly established, likewise the fact that the EU itself couldn’t sue the U.K., likewise the fact that each of the EU27 Members however could, likewise the respective commitments by at least Germany and France’s governments that they would indeed sue the U.K. if it doesn’t pay what it owes.

You can opine about the likely outcome, of course, since that would not be settled until the ITC judgement.

But in that context, I doubt that you have been keeping tab on the U.K. government’s balance of legal wins and losses over the past 2 years. I certainly have. Miller, Miller appeal, Article 50 referral to the CJEU, etc, etc: zero wins to date. With the latest loss no later than this week in Scotland, by none other than the Attorney General himself (flanked by 2 senior QCs as he was).

I know who my money would be on :twisted:

Edited by L00b

The UK government are planning on getting a transition deal that will effectively keep us in the EU until 2020 - which is when the divorce bill is supposed to cover up to. It's only relevant if we crash out without a deal.

Of course, I fully expect the brexiters to complain we are paying the EU club membership fees during the transition deal despite the fact that we will still be receiving the benefits of club membership.

tell them it’s paying man-of-the-people and expenses-millionaire Sir Nige’s £70,000+ EU pension and I’m sure they won’t complain too much.

The EU and UK haven't concluded a withdrawal agreement yet so there is no bill or agreement to honour. Nations don't trade with each other, but businesses do.