The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

The EU and UK haven't concluded a withdrawal agreement yet so there is no bill or agreement to honour. Nations don't trade with each other, but businesses do.

except the UK government freely made a number of commitments which go to the end of the current budget cycle and beyond

i think we all hope that we've moved away from the perfidious albion label

I voted to LEAVE the corrupt institution that is the EU. Leave meaning leave not paying 40 billion for the privilege of doing so. Not leaving fully in some things is not leaving, not tagging on to the EU's coat tails for a couple of years is not leaving because the two years will become three or maybe four, who knows.

Besides this is all conjecture while we get to know what deal our Remoaner PM has struck up with the EU. Bet she cannot get it through the Parliamentary vote any way.

Angel1.

We are leaving, there's no doubt there. But no we are dealing. And as the junior partner we can't wave our collective wangs about and get what we want. We can't have cake and eat it off the back of a unicorn.

Now once we leave the EU and start doing trade deals with China and India and you find out immigration hasn't gone down, you'll understand it a bit more. The when you're eating American food with legal rat droppings in it, you'll understand further. It's all about deals now and we won't get good ones, from anyone who counts. Why would you think otherwise?

except the UK government freely made a number of commitments which go to the end of the current budget cycle and beyond

i think we all hope that we've moved away from the perfidious albion label

The UK democratic people voted to leave the EU. The EU have had over two years to make alternative budget arrangements. It is unprecedented that an EU member has decided to leave their organisation, which means there is no procedure to follow. Any monetary offer the UK have made or discussed in the withdrawal negotiations are nothing more than a goodwill gesture. The EU should now display the same goodwill regarding the Irish border situation which the UK have shown, if they want to receive the sum being discussed. As a UK taxpayer, I don't want the UK to give the EU another penny, if a withdrawal agreement is not concluded.

The UK democratic people voted to leave the EU. The EU have had over two years to make alternative budget arrangements. It is unprecedented that an EU member has decided to leave their organisation, which means there is no procedure to follow. Any monetary offer the UK have made or discussed in the withdrawal negotiations are nothing more than a goodwill gesture. The EU should now display the same goodwill regarding the Irish border situation which the UK have shown, if they want to receive the sum being discussed. As a UK taxpayer, I don't want the UK to give the EU another penny, if a withdrawal agreement is not concluded.

I wager that there is a procedure to follow and that we helped write it and the UK voted for it. That's probably why the EU aren't moving much, their procedures won't allow it.

I wager that there is a procedure to follow and that we helped write it and the UK voted for it. That's probably why the EU aren't moving much, their procedures won't allow it.

If there is a procedure to follow, then why do they need to negotiate a withdrawal agreement?

the uk government made a multi year commitment at the start of the last budget cycle. if the matter comes to a court then maybe that will take a different view but the consensus seems to be that the uk will be expected to honor these commitments.

though, the amount we have to pay would be reduced if the mep's made some goodwill gestures regarding their pensions.

anyway, there will be far more things to worry about than this if we don't conclude a suitable withdrawl agreement.

If there is a procedure to follow, then why do they need to negotiate a withdrawal agreement?

Because that's part of the Article 50 procedure for withdrawal from the EU.

"A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

part of the withdrawl agreement covers the time from withdrawl to the finalisation of the deal which manifests our future trading relationship to prevent business facing two changes in regulatory and other structures in a short period of time.