The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

I think you missed my post where I clearly said the £350m NHS thing was a lie?
I didn’t, I was responding in the context of your post today:

Leave promises can't be kept as we havn't left yet! there wer elies in the campaign from both sides. Voters from both sides were sucked in and voted accordingly.
So, going by your defence, now that we’ve clearly scrapped the £350m promise from the corpus of Leave promises for the avoidance of doubt...which ‘Leave promises’ are left to be fulfilled after the U.K. leaves?

A problem on here, and other forums, is lots of people want to take a 'side' and like to portray anything and everyhting the 'other side' say is wrong.

Unfortunately real life isn't like that.

This thread is a running debate.

Taking a ‘side’ (or several, on discrete sub-topics) is not only expected, it’s indispensable.

No, but it helps.

How does it?

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 14:08 ----------

Taking a ‘side’ (or several, on discrete sub-topics) is not only expected, it’s indispensable.

Why? Or are you saying it tongue in cheek?

In 'real life' if you disagree with someone, do you then disagree with everything they say on a particular topic? Or do you agree with some things they say and disagree with others?

How does it?

Having all parties to a potential conflict engaged in a constant democratic process and dialogue about a whole range of issues which are of interest to those parties, makes it much less likely that a dispute between any of those parties would get to a stage when it escalates to a conflict.

If Turkey were ever to be admitted to the EU, one of the preconditions would be that any territorial dispute it has with Greece over Cyprus would be resolved before joining.

Don’t believe in democracy then?

Democracy has never been a strength for the EU. It's always been a deficit.

It will be even more so as the EU Commission wants a more active foreign policy that removes the veto rights of every member state. Supported by a full EU Defence Union by 2025.

An EU army.

Something that was so easily dismissed by naive Remainers not so very long ago as a fantasy is fast becoming a reality. And this EU army can be sent into operations without the democratic input of any member state.

Truly frightening.

Democracy has never been a strength for the EU. It's always been a deficit.

It will be even more so as the EU Commission wants a more active foreign policy that removes the veto rights of every member state. Supported by a full EU Defence Union by 2025.

An EU army.

Something that was so easily dismissed by naive Remainers not so very long ago as a fantasy is fast becoming a reality. And this EU army can be sent into operations without the democratic input of any member state.

Truly frightening.

An EU army is fast becoming a reality? Seriously? What nonsense.

And you add icing to the cake of that nonsense by then citing terms of engagement (which haven't been written) for an army (which doesnt exist.)

You couldn't make this up.

Why? Or are you saying it tongue in cheek?
Because if debaters (you need at least 2 people) don’t adopt opposed side, then there’s not going to be much of a debate, is there?

Just plain common sense, I’d have thought.

In 'real life' if you disagree with someone, do you then disagree with everything they say on a particular topic? Or do you agree with some things they say and disagree with others?
IRL or on here makes no difference, or at least it shouldn’t (for the sake of debating honesty). There’s going to be hyperbole and/or temper at times, bc I’m only human and bc text-only exchanges are poor at conveying sarcasm, things meant in jest, etc.

But by-and-large if a point made by the ‘opposition’ is fair, then I accept it as such, and frequently as not will acknowledge it as such. And expect reciprocity. If there is demonstrably no such reciprocity, then they’re clearly not interested in an honest debate, and so fair game for ignoring or abusing ;)