The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

The PM who negotiated is a Remainer though!

Allegedly...... ;)

Presumably, that's the sort of thing that happens when you have two people who are in a delusional state in charge of negotiations :?

Given their promises, it's no surprise that their goal was impossible to achieve.

Free trade is fine. But the wording of the agreement is that we have free trade, but then accept 'All decisions adopted by all institutions, bodies, offices and agncies of the EU...... shall be binding on the UK'

Having that at all, and certainly for an indefinate period is unacceptable to anyone? Any Leave or Remain supporter wouldn't support that clause.

It's leaving, that keeps the leavers happy, but it keeps tied to the EU which keeps the remainers happy. That's the theory. It's rubbish for everyone really.

What is the £39 billion for? Surely it would still be paid, deal or no deal. What cannot leave a club without agreeing to the legal costs, we joined the EU ACCEPTING THEIR RULES.

The £39 billion was agreed so the Brexit negotiations could move to the next stage and it was made clear nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. The UK are only liable for the £39 billion, if the UK sign the withdrawal agreement. The current EU budget cycle ends in 2020.

It's leaving, that keeps the leavers happy, but it keeps tied to the EU which keeps the remainers happy. That's the theory. It's rubbish for everyone really.

Probably was the idea. But seems like it's a rubbish one. My plan would be:

Stay in 'a' CU for two years, accepting current regulations, a sthey stand now.

At the end of the 2 years have concluded a FTA deal.

we pay the £39bn which we would have, and continue the FTA at no cost, same as Japan and Canada do.

They get tariff free access to us, as net exporters it's in their benefit, they get £39bn, and there is no NI border issue.

I've rung TM, but she's in a meeting at the moment.

The £39 billion was agreed so the Brexit negotiations could move to the next stage and it was made clear nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.The current EU budget cycle ends in 2020.

Of course, lets not forget that the £39bn is only an estimate, I haven't read this agreement, but in the previous one the UK had agreed to assume liabilities worth up to 100bn euro.

I suppose it could turn out to be less, but something tells me that won't be the case since it's likely to have been "massaged" to make it more palatable to the UK public.

The £39 billion was agreed so the Brexit negotiations could move to the next stage and it was made clear nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. The UK are only liable for the £39 billion, if the UK sign the withdrawal agreement. The current EU budget cycle ends in 2020.

I suggest you listen to the PM's response to questions in the House of Commons made in the last few minutes. She's reiterated that the '£39bn' is a legal obligation and will be paid.

Of course, lets not forget that the £39bn is only an estimate, I haven't read this agreement, but in the previous one the UK had agreed to assume liabilities worth up to 100bn euro.

I suppose it could turn out to be less, but something tells me that won't be the case since it's likely to have been "massaged" to make it more palatable to the UK public.

£39bn was the 'accepted' amount, but as far as I know, there is no figure written into this latest agreement. Since it is a never ending agreement, unless the eu agree, they have the potential to calculate a 'higher' figure. One more reason this 'deal' will crash.

£39bn was the 'accepted' amount, but as far as I know, there is no figure written into this latest agreement.

Oh well, seems May/Raab/Robbins at least did better than Davis then.

Since it is a never ending agreement, unless the eu agree, they have the potential to calculate a 'higher' figure. One more reason this 'deal' will crash.

It's not neverending, that money is for spending on commitments made *before* Britain leaves in March 2019.

I suggest you listen to the PM's response to questions in the House of Commons made in the last few minutes. She's reiterated that the '£39bn' is a legal obligation and will be paid.

The PM now has no credibility. In the past she has said nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. Nigel Dodds has just stated the '£39bn' payment will be a waste of money, if the withdrawal agreement is signed.

Oh well, seems May/Raab/Robbins at least did better than Davis then.

It's not neverending, that money is for spending on commitments made *before* Britain leaves in March 2019.

Not talking about what the cash was commited for. Talking about the Customs Territory is potentially never-ending as its end has to be JOINTLY agreed. The eu won't conclude an FTA while that is the case and the £39bn would increase if they were to consider moving from the Customs Territory to an FTA. It is a crap position to be in to move forward from here. Compromise is fine, but this isn't.