The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

5 minutes ago, stifflersmom said:

To continue the analogy...a gym is much more than a pool. Canada and Japan may have access to free trade with Europe, but there are also benefits like shared resource on security, intelligence, communications networks, scientific funding, grants for development projects etc etc etc. 

That's right. In my second post I support close co-operatin in lots of areas, but again, we don't need a central government and £xxx million per week to enable it. For example we share intelligence and security data with the usa for our joint benefit, but we don't get wrapped up in the their legislation process.

PS I was a bit sad the anolgy got dropped part way through. Can security be the doorman, intelligence be the physio and communications be the cafe? 😉

Edited by woodview

On 22 November 2018 at 5:33 PM, Lockdoctor said:

Of course I am not joking. Since the referendum vote I haven't become poorer. I have more money in the bank and my share portfolio has increased in value. I am not worried about my fortunes reversing anytime soon. 

Mark Carney becomes British citizen, I guess he's not too worried either.

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/politics/camden-mayor-jenny-headlam-wells-confirms-bank-chief-as-brit-1-5792615

Edited by steve68

The quisling May tells us all that her deal is the only deal, even though her chance of getting it through Parliament is zero. But there is another deal, we save the £39 billion sweetener May is giving away to the EU and tell them we will just leave on the 29th March with no deal. End of the story. Time for this Country to flex its muscles instead of kowtowing to the corrupt EU.

Angel1.

27 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

The quisling May tells us all that her deal is the only deal, even though her chance of getting it through Parliament is zero. But there is another deal, we save the £39 billion sweetener May is giving away to the EU and tell them we will just leave on the 29th March with no deal. End of the story. Time for this Country to flex its muscles instead of kowtowing to the corrupt EU.

Angel1.

Yeah, let's just default on our commitments, that won't affect our international credit rating (much), won't make us equivalent to Argentina who defaulted on their debts.

That makes as much sense as hitting your head with a brick to show how hard you are!

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

This is exactly what we should have done the day we triggered Article 50 . Just walked away . 

Yes ; we have commitments to the Eu, the Eu also have commitments to the UK .

What proportion of Eu projects  and infrastructure does  do the UK have claim on?

I wish the PM would have been upfront when interviewed and said "yes I wanted to stay in the EU but the electorate voted to leave and this is the best deal I can get"

As I see it there is no one out there who would make a better deal.

It is a pity that parliament (labour and conservatives) voted to give us a referendum.

The politicians thought the vote was a foregone conclusion and didn't work hard enough to spell out the result of leaving.

59 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Yeah, let's just default on our commitments, that won't affect our international credit rating (much), won't make us equivalent to Argentina who defaulted on their debts.

That makes as much sense as hitting your head with a brick to show how hard you are!

The £39 billion only becomes a debt if the UK agree and accepts the withdrawal agreement on offer.  Paying  £39 billion for no guarantee for anything in return makes no sense at all. 

3 hours ago, woodview said:

Yes we have, it's a good trading area. That's what Canada and Japan have gained, and we've gained similar access to their markets. That's all good stuff, without the need for a central parliamnet and all the other guff and a humongous membership bill.

It's just a big political project. Free trade fine, simplified work visa sytem fine, close co-operation fine.  A central government, an army, president Juncker who none of us voted for, no thanks, not for me anyway.

The membership bill is a fraction of 1% of GDP

Again......the same lazy and debunked arguments just not in a Brexit crazy way.

39 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The £39 billion only becomes a debt if the UK agree and accepts the withdrawal agreement on offer.  Paying  £39 billion for no guarantee for anything in return makes no sense at all. 

Are you sure we don’t get anything in return?

49 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

This is exactly what we should have done the day we triggered Article 50 . Just walked away . 

If we had you’d be living in and eating out of a bin

32 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

If you and Angel ever thought that we could have any possibility of “just walk away “ with no over hanging debt after years of membership then you need a reality check.

Whether this is a factual figure or accountable to the last billion I have no idea,but it has certainly come down from the £100 billion or £50 billion which have been touted in the past.

Its not a sweetener. Brexit will still be very sour.

We have signed up to commitments and agreed to pay our way and these must be honoured.

Just like us individuals with mortgage agreements,rental contracts,business debts,bank loans ,there’s a price to pay if you want to exit.