The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

16 minutes ago, truman said:

What difference would it make..what would be on offer now?

Strange how you think it's a " global capitalist gravy train" ..why are Reemogg et al so intent on us leaving?

It is a capitalist gravy train. I don't know why rees mogg thinks what he does, he is far from a typical thinker of any description.

3 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

It is common knowledge that the overwhelming vast majority of the big business and international finance establishment backed Remain.

Are you seriously denying this?

Can you answer the first question ie what difference would it make if everyone was behind "Leave"?  What would be better about the agreement?

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

It is a capitalist gravy train. I don't know why rees mogg thinks what he does, he is far from a typical thinker of any description.

Strange how Rees-Mogg and Johnson and Farage are all for it..none of them are anti capitalist as far as I know.... doesn't quite tally with Remain being a gravy train...

6 minutes ago, woodview said:

It is utterly indisputable that the overwhelming majority of big business and the global finance sector want us to Remain in the EU.

2 minutes ago, truman said:

Can you answer the first question ie what difference would it make if everyone was behind "Leave"?  What would be better about the agreement?

Strange how Rees-Mogg and Johnson and Farage are all for it..none of them are anti capitalist as far as I know.... doesn't quite tally with Remain being a gravy train...

No, but I don't claim all people think the same things for all the same reasons. The eu is advantageous to global capitalists, and they therefore like it. A large over supply of labour is also great for them, it keeps wages held low. A restriction on supply of labour pushes up the cost of labour. So, who would be most against cost of labour increasing? I'm guessing it's not the people doing the labouring.

The inability to go and live/work anywhere in the EU on a whim will only touch a very small minority of well off people. 

"I want to do a bar job in Amsterdam during my gap year, and the North and the Poor can suffer."

Remainer attitude in a nutshell.

Edited by Car Boot

36 minutes ago, woodview said:

No, but I don't claim all people think the same things for all the same reasons. The eu is advantageous to global capitalists, and they therefore like it. A large over supply of labour is also great for them, it keeps wages held low. A restriction on supply of labour pushes up the cost of labour. So, who would be most against cost of labour increasing? I'm guessing it's not the people doing the labouring.

What's to stop companies moving production to the cheaper areas?

4 minutes ago, truman said:

What's to stop companies moving production to the cheaper areas?

they can do that now, build a factory in india or china for example, or romania within the eu. I'd prefer a situation where there is a controlled squeeze on availability of labour. One of the reasons we have such low productivity is there are so many people working part time or in low value enterprises. Businesses employing fewer, but higher skilled people in more efficient or automated processes increase productivity and can afford higher waged skilled and semi skilled workforces. Simply having more and more people doing low value work in chain coffee houses and amazon warehouses on minimum wage doesn't help the country grow in the right way for the vasy majority of the population.

We have got in to a cycle of just ploghing down the same consumerist driven path. I'm not in favour of a fully planned economy by any means, but at the moment we seem to be in full blown market forces anything goes mode.

Edited by woodview

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

The inability to go and live/work anywhere in the EU on a whim will only touch a very small minority of well off people. 

"I want to do a bar job in Amsterdam during my gap year, and the North and the Poor can suffer."

Remainer attitude in a nutshell.

Blimey. That is such a stupid post. On so many levels.

3 hours ago, woodview said:

If you think the Uk is a 'xenophobic cesspit' , it's pointless even having a discussion. Your own prejudiced bigotry has taken over you. Hardly portraying an image of level minded tolerance are you?

’Prejudiced bigotry’? Is that what you accuse your friends of, when they tell you some hard truths instead of sugar-coating your alternative worldview?

It’s hardly ‘bigoted’ to call out your country’s overt and relentless immigrant-bashing by media, government and public figures over the past 2 years and change.

You can veil your face about it all you want, doesn’t make a blind bit of difference to those on the receiving end of it, and the only actionable choice available to them is to leave, which they have unsurprisingly been doing in steadily increasing numbers since 2016.

When your prime minister stops stooping to UKIP levels of rethoric, calling immigrants names and pushing hard to chuck them out by means fair and foul, and/or when the U.K. electorate stops letting her doing just that, I’ll be ‘level minded’ enough to reconsider.

In in the meantime, you have a real societal problem, and the world is watching, making it an image problem. Which is exactly why UK-bound immigration from the EU27 is drying out, problematically for UK plc and the NHS.

41 minutes ago, woodview said:

they can do that now, build a factory in india or china for example, or romania within the eu. I'd prefer a situation where there is a controlled squeeze on availability of labour. One of the reasons we have such low productivity is there are so many people working part time or in low value enterprises. Businesses employing fewer, but higher skilled people in more efficient or automated processes increase productivity and can afford higher waged skilled and semi skilled workforces. Simply having more and more people doing low value work in chain coffee houses and amazon warehouses on minimum wage doesn't help the country grow in the right way for the vasy majority of the population.

We have got in to a cycle of just ploghing down the same consumerist driven path. I'm not in favour of a fully planned economy by any means, but at the moment we seem to be in full blown market forces anything goes mode.

What I'm saying is that if labour becomes too expensive here then companies will relocate..then there won't even be the lower paid jobs here..businesses will still base the  higher paid R+D stuff here but will move production to cheaper areas ( a la Dyson).where do the jobs come from then?.At the moment companies use the UK as a gateway to Europe..not sure that'll happen when we leave...have many companies indicated an option to start new factories here because of Brexit..?

Edited by truman