The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

6 hours ago, apelike said:

Quite right but that does not matter. The problem you have however is that the government endorsed the result as promised by the previous government and our democratically elected body called parliament also accepted the result. Parliament then voted overwhelmingly to enact A50 by an act pf parliament making it a democratically legal decision.

All of that can be reversed 

8 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I would suggest that next Wednesday will be the more interesting day.

We know that May will lose the vote but by how much is anyone's guess. Most pundits put it somewhere between 50 and 90 votes. It is not out of the question that some of the more savvy Brextremists may end up voting for the deal now that the choice is no longer between May's deal and no deal but between May's deal and no Brexit.

A political pundit on BBC Breakfast news this morning  believes Mrs May will have to make a statement within seconds of  losing the vote announcing her next move.  If she loses the vote by less than 50, the political pundit thinks there is a chance the withdrawal agreement will get through Parliament at the second attempt.  The result of the first vote is expected around 8.30 pm on Tuesday evening

As much as I hate to agree with Farage about anything, I think his forecast is spot on.  The deal will be defeated by a whopping number next week, and Parliament will come together to seek an extension of article 50, perhaps for a year or two.  

In the constitutional crisis that follows, a binary No Deal v Remain option will be put to the people again.  I can't see any other outcome.  It doesn't matter how loudly the blowhard extremists shout, Parliament will quite rightly not allow a No Deal Brexit to happen in March, and not without public endorsement.  

5 minutes ago, bendix said:

As much as I hate to agree with Farage about anything, I think his forecast is spot on.  The deal will be defeated by a whopping number next week, and Parliament will come together to seek an extension of article 50, perhaps for a year or two.  

In the constitutional crisis that follows, a binary No Deal v Remain option will be put to the people again.  I can't see any other outcome.  It doesn't matter how loudly the blowhard extremists shout, Parliament will quite rightly not allow a No Deal Brexit to happen in March, and not without public endorsement.  

Makes sense in that if a second referendum votes for no deal the public can't blame anyone but themselves when the predictions come true.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, was on the Today programme this morning talking about Brexit, and about planning for a no deal, he said that planes could be used to fly in drugs, and medicines could be given priority access through gridlocked ports in the event of a no-deal Brexit. 

Ministers would order pharmacists to dispense a “reduced quantity” of the medicine, an “alternative dosage form”, a “therapeutic equivalent” or a “generic equivalent”.

Hancock told BBC Radio 4’s Today that “this is something we are consulting on” and “it’s about having the appropriate clinical flexibility”.

I don't recall that being written on the side of a bus, but hey, if that's what people voted for...

17 minutes ago, taxman said:

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, was on the Today programme this morning talking about Brexit, and about planning for a no deal, he said that planes could be used to fly in drugs, and medicines could be given priority access through gridlocked ports in the event of a no-deal Brexit. 

Flown in by who? The military?

Civil aviation will be effectively grounded by a no-deal exit from the EU.

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Bendix, hope your right..

1 hour ago, bendix said:

In the constitutional crisis that follows, a binary No Deal v Remain option will be put to the people again. 

Which Remain should easily win but it would be interesting to see how many people would vote for No Deal.

Despite almost everyone saying that no deal would be disastrous for the UK, you still see a good number of people interviewed on various current affairs programmes including Question Time who seem to be militantly advocating a no-deal Brexit.

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Which Remain should easily win but it would be interesting to see how many people would vote for No Deal.

Despite almost everyone saying that no deal would be disastrous for the UK, you still see a good number of people interviewed on various current affairs programmes including Question Time who seem to be militantly advocating a no-deal Brexit.

James O'Brien is good on this subject on LBC radio.  He points out that those supporters are voting very much on an emotional level, and no amount of evidence or rationality will sway them.  When asked to defend their position, flat platitudes come out, such as 'taking back control of our laws and borders'.  When asked which laws they mean, they can't name any.  I asked a Brexiteer recently which European laws affected their day to day lives - their salary, their tax rate, their NI, their pension, who cleans the streets in their neighborhood, and how often the bins were collected.   Of course, all i got was soundbites and nonsense about freedom of movement.  I asked him if he knew that we are totally in control of our borders and that EU rules have provisions to deny permanent settlement if people don't have jobs in three months.  Of course, no reply.

It's disheartening.

To be honest, I'm not so convinced Remain would easily win.  

Time will tell.