The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

18 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

then the sooner new agreements can be sorted out regarding such matters as aviation.

How will that be done then?

Either we expand the CAA to have a full regulatory role and recertify all our aircraft and air traffic control services, which will take 5-10 years or we apply for associate membership of EASA which will have our aviation ultimately under the control of the ECJ and will have the Brextremists spitting feathers.

44 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Project Hysteria. The sooner  the UK give notice we will leave the EU without a deal then the sooner new agreements can be sorted out regarding such matters as aviation.

You really should talk to people who know first-hand about the status quo about, and the consequences of no-deal exit on, their line of work.

Like eg airline pilots for civil aviation, registered attorneys for IP, radiologists for medical isotopes, etc.

You’d be a bit less quick with the “projects” buzzer ;)

As it happens I met and had dinner with a corporate jet pilot last Friday night. Just been made redundant in Singapore and interviewing with Luxaviation. He explained that Brit-qual’d pilots are bricking it about a no deal the world over (and not getting any jobs when applying overseas), bc with a no deal taking the U.K. out of current EU and Open Skies frameworks, they’d instantly lose the recognition of their Brit quals, and could only fly Brit-registered aircrafts until the situation is resolved by new agreements.

Situation entirely comparable to Brit-qualified IP attorneys across the EU27, I can add.

Edited by L00b

43 minutes ago, apelike said:

I didnt say a second referendum was needed to revoke A50 only a parliamentary vote. Parliament can only revoke A50 if the EU agree that it can be unilaterally revoked and so far we do not know if that is possible as that legal decision has yet to be made by the EU.

You’re clutching at straws.

Does anybody really seriously believe that the EU would not let us revoke A50?

Seriously?

44 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Also plenty of brexiteers are prepared to dig their heels in and vote for "no deal" to make the point they have not been listened to. I know at least two who have said that. They really don't care if it unleashes economic chaos (and why would they? They are retired on nice fat pensions with the mortgage paid off, so it won't affect them so much).

I take it that they don’t have any healthcare or medication requirements, current or future, and that they have allotments and livestock, so they won’t have to change their eating habits much, to eating once or twice every 2 days, then?

:D

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Which Remain should easily win but it would be interesting to see how many people would vote for No Deal.

Despite almost everyone saying that no deal would be disastrous for the UK, you still see a good number of people interviewed on various current affairs programmes including Question Time who seem to be militantly advocating a no-deal Brexit.

the extreme end of brextremists

22 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

You’re clutching at straws.

Does anybody really seriously believe that the EU would not let us revoke A50?

Seriously?

Yes seriously. There is quite a lot of talk about what could happen if the EU allow any member to trigger A50 then re-negotiate their membership and have the power to then revoke A50 because it is legal to do so. That may or may not happen but dont bank on the recent bit of news from Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona, that the UK can cancel its article 50 notice unilaterally as that judgement has yet to been confirmed by the full court. Although having said that the court should not take the above into account and just judge it on how they see the law.

Edited by apelike

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

I take it that they don’t have any healthcare or medication requirements, current or future

An important point.

Unless the majority of retired people have private medical cover, because of their age, they are disproportionately reliant on the NHS particularly with respect to repeat prescriptions for medication.

They shouldn't be too sure of their pensions either. If, as I suspect, most pensions are with UK based firms when economic disaster hits, pension funds tend to be used as a ready source of bail out cash.

Ironlically, it could be the post retirement age, 'I'm all right jack' leave voters who end up being hardest hit of all! :o

58 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Ironically, it could be the post retirement age, 'I'm all right jack' leave voters who end up being hardest hit of all! :o

Hey, Leavers on here will have you know that they knew what they were voting for, and that Brexit is worth job losses and other assorted negative socio-economic consequences, should those occur notwithstanding our crystal ball polishing and other Project Fear claims ;)

...so, you know...

They bork it, they own it.

Most of Europe by now is completely out of **** to give about it,  so they can expect token sympathy, and little else.

On reading the recent government notice (4 December) about EUinUK and UKinEU, I learned that even with the withdrawal agreement signed, my Brexit-voting British mother-in-law will irremediably lose the possibility of joining us here on the Continent, to look after her in her oldest days, as from the end of the transition period (end Dec 2020).

We sure as **** ain’t moving back to the U.K., so she’s got either 4 months (if no deal), or about 2 years (if agreement), to make up her mind about whether she wants to grow old alone in the U.K., or here with us - and move.

Trust me when I say that she’s taking the full measure of the consequences of her vote atm. Poetic justice, tbh.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

I take it that they don’t have any healthcare or medication requirements, current or future, and that they have allotments and livestock, so they won’t have to change their eating habits much, to eating once or twice every 2 days, then?

:D

The point is they *think* they are sorted now they have reached retirement with nice pensions and a mortgage.  So it's irrelevant whether they are right, no-one is going to convince them otherwise.  I don't doubt that if hard choices have to be made the next generation of politicians will be under pressure from the young to pass on the next round of austerity to those demographics who voted for the mess we end up in.