The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

8 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Are you suggesting that the democratic process is trying to be overturned by the leave process?

Shame on you!

????

There are some on here who are saying that the Good Friday Agreement should be ignored if it presents difficulties for Brexit. I am simply saying that the Good Friday agreement has a greater democratic foundation than Brexit given that it is supported by the majority of people in all parts of Ireland.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I am simply saying that the Good Friday agreement has a greater democratic foundation than Brexit given that it is supported by the majority of people in all parts of Ireland.

No it was not as only 56% of people in the republic actually turned out to vote which is far from the majority you make out. At least in the UK the turnout was 72.21%

Edited by apelike

13 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Whoo hoo, now the Remoaners tell us that the ques at the ports will be, get ready for this little beaut, 6 MONTHS long.  Their claims are now reaching fever pitch. At least they are now so ridiculous as to be laughable.

Angel1.

That's 'Project Hysteria' in full flow my friend! Highly speculative and very extreme scenarios.

Did the Remainers learn nothing from the discredited and rejected (at the ballot box) failure of ''Project Fear'?

I have since read that queue's could be up to 5 YEARS LONG at the ports. Remainers believe this codswallop.

12 hours ago, altus said:

Because they use more cereal than they grow.

Here's another perspective on the UK/Ireland food trade from the UK government.

On page 7 you'll see that:

• the UK exports £634 millions of cereals & cereal preparations to Ireland.
  • the UK imports £2,878 millions of meat & meat preparations, dairy products & birds' eggs and miscellaneous edible products & preparations.

Other amounts of foodstuffs going either way are too small to appear on the tables.

It's clear we import more food from them than they import from us.

The UK has about 13 times the population of Ireland. If we both stop exporting food to each other, we'll be the ones to suffer most - particularly as the EU would rush to their aid not ours.

With all due respect you clearly don't understand the reasoning for Priti Patel's comments which you ignorantly call stupid.  Any other perspective is irrelevant because Priti Patel was only commenting on the bad consequences of a no deal Brexit for Ireland. Ireland will suffer more than any of the other EU27 countries, if there is a no deal Brexit.  Ireland are supporting the backstop which might lead to the UK leaving the EU without a deal, which is why Priti Patel said the bad consequences of a no Brexit deal for Ireland should have been emphasised by the UK negotiating team.

16 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

Okay after reading your waffle I conclude you agree with me new agreements will be sorted out.  If we both have sound judgement then we both will also agree the sooner all parties know there is going to be a no deal then the sooner all parties can make new agreements to resolve situations.

I do find it  a little worrying that pilots scare so easily according to your corporate jet pilot dinner date.

I don't agree with you in the least, unsurprisingly. But keep telling yourself that, it's amusing.

And that's British pilot scaring: my dinner 'date' was an EU27 pilot. There is a general shortage of pilots across the world: taking the Brit contingent off the candidate pool on the back of a no deal Brexit, is bonus for the rest of them. Restricts the supply side, y'see, and unsurprisingly, what gets rarer, gets more expensive.

Again, same for every line of professional work the length and breadth of the EU27: most of what the Brits provide, in goods and especially in services, is commodity and alternatives are readily found within the EU27.

That's one of the several reasons why UK SMEs and not-so-SM UK Es have, and continue to, relocate (or be relocated by their foreign parent) to the EU27; and why UK-based companies are being gradually taken off their EU27 client's supplier lists.

Someday you'll get this. By then you won't have much left in the way of an NHS and other public resources.

25 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

With all due respect you clearly don't understand the reasoning for Priti Patel's comments which you ignorantly call stupid.  Any other perspective is irrelevant because Priti Patel was only commenting on the bad consequences of a no deal Brexit for Ireland. Ireland will suffer more than any of the other EU27 countries, if there is a no deal Brexit.  Ireland are supporting the backstop which might lead to the UK leaving the EU without a deal, which is why Priti Patel said the bad consequences of a no Brexit deal for Ireland should have been emphasised by the UK negotiating team.

And you don't think the Irish have been well aware of the consequences of a no deal Brexit regardless of the UK negotiating team's statements, since at least June 2016?

You guys really live in a bubble :lol:

Edited by L00b

4 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

It's not ignorant to call it stupid. Unlike Priti Patel and you, I understand that both sides of a negotiation can threaten dire consequences. A hard border due to a no deal is going to result in a return of the troubles to only one side of that border. That is the killer issue in this argument. Even the DUP know that, which is why they've been so insistent that there isn't one.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

And the same to you,

A lovely soft fluffy Brexit.

Not quite what you hoped for but it will cost us all plenty,because it comes all the way from Norway.

Or, you can get one just as good, that costs nothing that comes from Canada 😀