The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

37 minutes ago, woodview said:

I just prefer decison making to be regionalised as is 'practically' and sensibly possible. The further away and more centralised it becomes, the worse it becomes IMO. In your example the decison making could drift further and further up that tree, to the point where the EU also becomes more and more redundant, accepting more decisions made by a worldwide UN type body.

It isn't for me.

I think most people agree, and I think, generally, that is what happens. What laws have the EU introduced that would have been better dealt with at UK level?

11 minutes ago, nickycheese said:

What laws have the EU introduced that would have been better dealt with at UK level?

If this is such a burning issue with UK citizens, how come not one leave supporter I spoke to during the referendum campaign could name a single law 'imposed' on us by the EU apart from 'bendy bananas' (which was fake news based on an EU guidance document outlining the physical standards for different classes of fruit.)

19 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If this is such a burning issue with UK citizens, how come not one leave supporter I spoke to during the referendum campaign could name a single law 'imposed' on us by the EU apart from 'bendy bananas' (which was fake news based on an EU guidance document outlining the physical standards for different classes of fruit.)

The burning issue of some, maybe many, Brexiteers, is not that the EU ‘imposes’ collectively-beneficial and market competition-levelling  laws to the Member States, but that the U.K. does not impose its political will upon the EU enough, to their taste.

As demonstrated by e.g. woodview’s recent posts with the 9% comment/stat (many more to be seen, from other posters).

The perennial problem is, they can’t seem to differentiate between national self-interest and European common interest, nor to understand that these two notions always co-existed, long before the EEC, never mind the EU, were things.

The isolationist aspect of Brexit, given the current bloc-growing geopolitical context, is as clear a symptom of those failures, as you could find.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, helloitsonly said:

well all this Brexit fuss doesn't seem to be affecting my  shares screen today its almost all blue today😎 so much for the disaster

That just demonstrates you don't realise what has happened.

Falling confidence in UK economy -> fall in the pound against US dollar (which happened yesterday) -> companies who get most of their revenue in dollars (75% of FTSE100) shares go up.

It might be good for people with shares in the short term but doesn't indicate the country is doing well overall.

58 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Exactly. Nothing is imposed. We have a say in every aspect of it.

As I mentioned earlier, a massively disproportionate say.

Its not a surprise that countries like Germany, France and the UK have done well out of the EU. 

A slightly uncomfortable truth for some remainers I guess, but the answer is not to throw ourselves under the bus to level ourselves down

Edited by I1L2T3

9 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Exactly. Nothing is imposed. We have a say in every aspect of it.

As I mentioned earlier, a massively disproportionate say.

Its not a surprise that countries like Germany, France and the UK have done well out of the EU. 

A slightly uncomfortable truth for some remainers I guess, but the answer is not to throw ourselves under the bus to level ourselves down

not true, many many things are governed by the euro law making, emissions,mot testing, CE marking of clothing, pretty much anything that comes into the EU, differing standards of things like paint, you name it and there is an EU commission on it adding and over egging the rules with belts braces and parachutes. all imposed by the  un-elected.

7 minutes ago, helloitsonly said:

not true, many many things are governed by the euro law making, emissions,mot testing, CE marking of clothing, pretty much anything that comes into the EU, differing standards of things like paint, you name it and there is an EU commission on it adding and over egging the rules with belts braces and parachutes. all imposed by the  un-elected.

Yes it is true. We are part of the commission. Nothing is dictated to us, we play a role in every last part of it.