The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That is nonsense.

It is widely accepted that there is probably a majority in favour of remain now, so a ballot without the option of remain is effectively disenfranchising over half of the electorate.

Don't be daft they already have had a say and the result was to leave.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It may seem stupid to you but apart from Parliament voting to halt Article 50 altogether, what do you suggest is done.

Quite simply we leave and accept the consequences.

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

I'm sure he does understand. 

I'm sure he does after all one of his election manifesto promises was to have a referendum on the EU also.

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

Don't be daft they already have had a say and the result was to leave.

Quite simply we leave and accept the consequences.

What we are discussing here is a second referendum to get us out of this mess.

Proposing that the only option in a second referendum is a course of action which has proven incredibly difficult, if not impossible makes nonsense of a second referendum. That would be like the Tories having a leadership election where Teresa May was the only name on the ballot because she had won the contest in 2016.

We really need to get out of this mess. Clinging to a discredited, inconclusive referendum from nearly three years ago won't do that. :suspect:

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

What we are discussing here is a second referendum to get us out of this mess.

Proposing that the only option in a second referendum is a course of action which has proven incredibly difficult, if not impossible makes nonsense of a second referendum.

A second referendum is not guaranteed to do that though and that's why we should not have one. If we did have a second one and the result is the same then what? If the result is in favour to remain but by the same margin as leave had, again then what?

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

A second referendum is not guaranteed to do that though and that's why we should not have one. If we did have a second one and the result is the same then what? If the result is in favour to remain but by the same margin as leave had, again then what?

Then we remain.

If the two things really are that finely balanced, we take the option which does least damage to the people of this country.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Then we remain.

If the two things really are that finely balanced, we take the option which does least damage to the people of this country.

No we take the option that people voted for despite what remainers want, and that is to leave.

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

A second referendum would give a fair reflection of the countrys feelings, unlike the first one, people now have a far better idea where we are heading.. the next one should be binding... I voted leave, and I now realise what a mistake I made, however if the vote was still leave I would fully respect it.. personally I think I was conned first time round.

I'd like it if May addressed parliament and told them she'd withdrawn article 50 and she was holding a general election and resigning forthwith.

If we are determined to set fire to the country we might as well burn the lot, including our government which frankly isn't fit for purpose and hasn't been for years.

16 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'd like it if May addressed parliament and told them she'd withdrawn article 50 and she was holding a general election and resigning forthwith.

Two problems with that. She alone cannot withdraw A50 as doing that would have to be approved by parliament first. She can resign but she cant have or hold another GE now until the fixed term is up in 2022.

Edited by apelike

7 hours ago, truman said:

Would that be economists respected by the Express?

Do you beleive the bit about the German Boot?  Do you think that is relevant now?

Eminently so, Germany is the driving force behind the EU, surely that's a given. It is the largest contributor to the corrupt EU and is not doing so just to be kind to the almost bankrupt bottom 5 countries. Who when we leave a couple of them will most certainly look towards leaving also.

Angel1.

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

but she cant have or hold another GE now until the fixed term is up in 2022.

No, but Parliament can.

If there is a successful vote of no confidence in the government or two-thirds of MPs vote for it, a general election can be held before the end of the five year term.