The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

1 minute ago, Penistone999 said:

Its the EU who are guilty of trying to dilute national identity ,and turn Europe into one big  multi- cultural experiment . If some people had more pride in their  national identity maybe society wouldnt be in the mess it is. 

National pride you call it?  I would call it far right xenophobia based on what has been disgracfully demonstrated.  I am fortunate to be on the comfortable side of the economic scale, so I am able to ride out whatever storm this creates.  I just will not be remotely sympathetic to those that will be most adversely affected.  It starts with the 5000 job losses at JLR announced today.  Sucks to be them.  They voted Leave in that area, they got what they deserve.

22 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

National pride you call it?  I would call it far right xenophobia based on what has been disgracfully demonstrated.  I am fortunate to be on the comfortable side of the economic scale, so I am able to ride out whatever storm this creates.  I just will not be remotely sympathetic to those that will be most adversely affected.  It starts with the 5000 job losses at JLR announced today.  Sucks to be them.  They voted Leave in that area, they got what they deserve.

nowt to do with sluggish sales in china and the effect of diesel cars sales due to emmisions then ?

15 minutes ago, ricgem2002 said:

nowt to do with sluggish sales in china and the effect of diesel cars sales due to emmisions then ?

So, the introduction of tariffs of all components coming into th UK and the export of cars to the EU market won't suddenly make manufacturing significantly less affordable due to Brexit?  Come on!  Lift the intelligence of this debate please.

Edited by ez8004

40 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

For your information,people who don't vote got off their arses and voted leave, so obviously leaving the eu mattered to them.

It would be interesting to see how many will vote leave next time.

The problem with populist dog whistle politics is that it creates a sense of expectation and entitlement which can never be fulfilled followed very quickly by disillusionment. How many leave voters have you heard saying "What's going on? I don't understand why we didn't leave the day after the referendum!"

In the two years after the beginning of the recession the BNP polled more votes than at any time in their history. They also won more council seats than at any time in their history.

In the two years prior to the EU referendum, UKIP polled more votes than they had ever done. They also won record numbers of European Parliament seats.

Where are the BNP now? Where is UKIP now? 

It is very easy to stir up support for populist right wing causes* by promising the impossible and precisely because they are promising the impossible, that support is not sustainable. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the leave vote collapses at the next referendum.

(*how easy this is, was demonstrated by an ex member of this forum in 2013 when she posted on an EDL facebook page that The Pheasant at Lane Top was going to be turned into a mosque as a wind up. This led to a 200-strong demo being called by the EDL which unfortunately cost South Yorkshire ratepayers £600,000 in policing costs. 😡)

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It would be interesting to see how many will vote leave next time.

The problem with populist dog whistle politics is that it creates a sense of expectation and entitlement which can never be fulfilled followed very quickly by disillusionment. How many leave voters have you heard saying "What's going on? I don't understand why we didn't leave the day after the referendum!"

In the two years after the beginning of the recession the BNP polled more votes than at any time in their history. They also won more council seats than at any time in their history.

In the two years prior to the EU referendum, UKIP polled more votes than they had ever done. They also won record numbers of European Parliament seats.

Where are the BNP now? Where is UKIP now? 

It is very easy to stir up support for populist right wing causes* by promising the impossible and precisely because they are promising the impossible, that support is not sustainable. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the leave vote collapses at the next referendum.

(*how easy this is, was demonstrated by an ex member of this forum in 2013 when she posted on an EDL facebook page that The Pheasant at Lane Top was going to be turned into a mosque as a wind up. This led to a 200-strong demo being called by the EDL which unfortunately cost South Yorkshire ratepayers £600,000 in policing costs. 😡)

Which next referendum? you know there's to be another ?

An increasing number of people can't see any other way out of this mess without one.

Even members of May's cabinet are starting to discuss it as a realistic option. As no deal, and May's deal have very little support in Parliament I can see a second referendum coming up on the rails and crossing the finish line as the only proposal MPs can agree on.

10 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Which next referendum? you know there's to be another ?

Leaving with no deal will trash peoples livelihoods,  a heck of a lot of them will be people who didn't want to leave in the first place.  You ain't  going to get a "no deal" scenario, its not sensible. You're gonna get the deal on the table, or another referendum.

8 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Leaving with no deal will trash peoples livelihoods,  a heck of a lot of them will be people who didn't want to leave in the first place.  You ain't  going to get a "no deal" scenario, its not sensible. You're gonna get the deal on the table, or another referendum.

Indeed. And any party that pushes through a no deal Brexit will not be trusted again potentially for decades.

Tories and Labour take note. We’re in this mess because of both parties.