The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

24 minutes ago, apelike said:

But it seems that you and other remainers will not like it or accept it because its not what you want to hear. Dont forget that the referendum was also based on 2 simple basic questions.

Why on earth would I not want to hear that people tend to believe that they are more informed than they actually are? I've just told you that human nature explains that.

It was actually one simple basic question but if you don't actually know what the EU is then it's not that simple anymore. 😳

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I think the Remain or Leave question was quite clear and stated just that.

Obviously, I fundamentally disagree.

I don't believe most voted for no-deal and I still don't think the UK public will accept that result.

Time will tell...

2 minutes ago, Magilla said:

I don't believe most voted for no-deal and I still don't think the UK public will accept that result.

Time will tell...

Yes it will.

For me however I will accept what parliament decide but I dont think it should be a public decision for reasons I have stated before.

11 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

It is absolutely wrong, if Parliament don't follow the UK's electorate  instructions and implement the UK leaving the EU. 

37% of the electorate voted leave.

36% of the electorate voted remain.

Given that neither side could attract a majority of the electorate in an advisory referendum, the government were't obliged to do anything other than what they deem to be in the best interest of the country as a whole. 

2 hours ago, apelike said:

No democracy is about the will of parliament who are our democratic representatives, and not the will of the people and that is where people get it wrong.

What was campaigned for is immaterial as the choices were clear on the ballot paper for all to read. 

If democracy is the will of parliament then parliament should be acting in the best interests of the people. MPs should not be behaving as delegates.

If they can’t act in our best interests and in the national interest then they need to go back to the people. GE preferably. Referendum if absolutely necessary.

26 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Time will tell...

There is no way the public will accept no deal as a result. No chance.

Some people think they want it but they have no idea what it means. 

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

37% of the electorate voted leave.

36% of the electorate voted remain.

Given that neither side could attract a majority of the electorate in an advisory referendum, the government were't obliged to do anything other than what they deem to be in the best interest of the country as a whole. 

They only counted votes from the electorate, who both registered to vote and actually voted in the  2016 EU referendum.  They announced the day after the EU referendum vote that leave won because they got 52% of the votes cast and remain only got 48%  of votes cast.  Whether the democratic decision to leave the EU is in the best interest of the country as a whole is irrelevant, just as stating the EU referendum  was advisory is now irrelevant.

The problem here is everyone got their own version of Brexit theirs no middle ground no comprise no nothing. The debates are the same it's like hearing the same record again and again it starts interesting then finally gets irritating. The Tories created this mess for no reason other than internal party politics  that's engulfed the national. It's high time that MP's  on both sides of the house to take stock of the situation it's tearing apart our political system damaging our economy putting jobs on the line for some fantasy idea that's unworkable. We have hit rock bottom for all the world to see when we should be at the top of the game leading in European politics and sending an message to Moscow  we stand together has one and will not be pushed around by you.

3 hours ago, apelike said:

What do you class as the will of the people? They voted in a referendum which as been pointed out on may occasions was also advisory.

Behave apelike, Cameron told us in his last contribution before the vote,

"Above all, it’s about our economy.

"It will be stronger if we stay.

"It will be weaker if we leave.

"That’s a huge risk to Britain – to British families; to British jobs – and it’s irreversible.

"There is no going back

Further into his diatribe

"If we vote out, that’s it.

"It is irreversible.

"We will leave Europe – for good. 

Which parts of this last speech was advisory, seems cut and dried to me, we leave and it is irreversible. That's what we voted for.

Angel1.

4 hours ago, Flexo said:

People  have less money to spend when the economy is weak. They still want to go out for a treat but have less money. So Wetherspoons - which is at the low-cost end of the pub food market - gets more business.

The owner of Wetherspoons wants Brexit because it makes him richer.

I love comedians, they brighten up your day.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1