The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We’re they planning on dredging before or after march? Who is dredging it? Who is paying for it? How do you know existing ports are at full capacity. Dover might be be I’m pretty sure Felixstowe isn’t - it’s just been extended, I’m fairly sure harwich and Portsmouth aren’t at capacity either. Existing companies have spent two years working out how to manage brexit - even mine has - and I’m sure cross channel operations are better equipped than me. How do you know that company can deliver? Given we are an island nation how on earth have we managed to sort a deal with a new company and not an existing one.

If you at big on trusting people with no track record I’ve some magic democratic beans I can sell you for way less than £14m. Failing that, what about a little wager. I bet, in the event of a no deal brexit, this whole thing will fall on its face and the government will have to look elsewhere. Let’s say £14 donation to the charity of the winners choice?

That's quite a bet. Wouldn't a fiver have been more realistic?

20 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Existing companies have a business structure based on the UK remaining in the EU.

Your implication that EU focused companies aren't up to the job is undermined by the fact that over 85% of the government's extra ferries fund is being spent with those very same companies.

I can help seeing this as the government wasting most of £14m to try to avoid the embarrassment of having to rely entirely[1] on EU based companies to solve their brexit failures.

[1] Rather than almost entirely.

19 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We’re they planning on dredging before or after march? Who is dredging it? Who is paying for it? How do you know existing ports are at full capacity. Dover might be be I’m pretty sure Felixstowe isn’t - it’s just been extended, I’m fairly sure harwich and Portsmouth aren’t at capacity either. Existing companies have spent two years working out how to manage brexit - even mine has - and I’m sure cross channel operations are better equipped than me. How do you know that company can deliver? Given we are an island nation how on earth have we managed to sort a deal with a new company and not an existing one.

If you at big on trusting people with no track record I’ve some magic democratic beans I can sell you for way less than £14m. Failing that, what about a little wager. I bet, in the event of a no deal brexit, this whole thing will fall on its face and the government will have to look elsewhere. Let’s say £14 donation to the charity of the winners choice?

You obviously haven't read the link I posted earlier because the article clearly states dredging will start this week.  I have re -posted the link again for your benefit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/31/brexit-ferry-firm-seaborne-says-it-will-be-up-and-running-before-end-of-march

30 minutes ago, RJRB said:

And so you should be embarrassed 😳 

And I’m not complaining about a No Brexit Deal(I’m all for that)it’s a No Deal Brexit that is the problem.

Whats the difference between a No Brexit Deal  and a No Deal Brexit?

Fair enough. According to Kent Live it’s going to take a “major dredging operation”. Also according to Kent live it’s going to cost £200m of tax payers money to do it - to a timescale that I can’t find. https://www.kentlive.news/news/theres-200-million-plan-transform-2214163

As a reference point it took 2 years to dredge Portsmouth so they could get HMS queen elizabeth in.

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Fair enough. According to Kent Live it’s going to take a “major dredging operation”. Also according to Kent live it’s going to cost £200m of tax payers money to do it - to a timescale that I can’t find. https://www.kentlive.news/news/theres-200-million-plan-transform-2214163

As a reference point it took 2 years to dredge Portsmouth so they could get HMS queen elizabeth in.

The link doesn't actually say it's going to cost 200million to do the dredging, 

The link reads that there is a plan to do lots of development at the port which has a budget of 200million. Presumably, this will cover new buildings, docks, roads etc. as well as dredging. 

Regardless of Brexit, then having functional alternative routes to/from the continent is probably a good thing from a general business continuity standpoint. 

26 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

The link reads that there is a plan to do lots of development at the port which has a budget of 200million. Presumably, this will cover new buildings, docks, roads etc. as well as dredging. 

Regardless of Brexit, then having functional alternative routes to/from the continent is probably a good thing from a general business continuity standpoint. 

You make an excellent point regarding using Ramsgate as an alternative route regardless of Brexit. 

Back to the awarding of the contract to Seabourne,   it stated on the BBC  News this evening that the new company will not get any taxpayer's money if it fails to meet the agreed obligations.  

47 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thanks for posting the link.

41 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Yep, it's £200m for everything. It's nice that they can find the money for it.