The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

16 hours ago, ez8004 said:

So how many generations does your family have to reside in this country to be considered British? Two? How about three?

You seem to be clearly confused by the terminology used of Nationality and being a British National or citizen.

Nationality is defined as being the original country of birth and there are 6 types of British Nationality defined under the 1981 British Nationality Act. I am British by birth and therefore my nationality is British but I am not classed as a British National. The people we are talking about are British Nationals as they have applied and been essentially adopted in British law which accords them exactly the same rights as a native born British person.

Tell us all who can be considered British even if they hold British passports. Your assertions are clear for everyone to see. 

The people who can be considered British are those that have been born in this country whether or not they have parents from other nationalities. Holding a British passport does not mean you are a native Briton. Now perhaps you can now do some research, look up the 1981 British Nationality Act and see whether this quote from you: 

"The two Nobel prize winners you quoted ARE BRITISH" fits in.. cough!

7 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

You tried to give the impression they were not British.

You were attempting to mislead, and that is crystal clear given the context of your post.

Very poor apelike

You also need to read the above post as they are British Nationals and not British as such. In any case was it not you who keeps banging on about Russian involvement in Brexit.. Is that not also xenophobic especially as nothing has been proven. It seem yet again that people are eager to slur others for the sake of an argument. BTW just to add the bit I put in brackets (them again) was a bit of a joke actually on you to be honest.

9 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

I used Graphene as it is a prime example of the result of international collaboration and borderless work that occurs in academia. The fact that the EU is subsidising further development is, again, precisely why I highlighted Graphene in particular.

As above, but also to add - mass production is irrelevant at this stage, it is the theoretical development that generates research funding. Once it becomes a manufactured entity the income generation opportunities for academics reduce significantly. See stainless steel for example.

re. The brain drain, it is happening, at pace.

I agree with the last sentiment but that has in reality always been the case. 

The wide scale use and manufacture of Graphene seems limited although it seem to have potential. The same has happened to Buckminster fullerines another wonder material and in a sense to computing with Quantum computers.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I agree with the last sentiment but that has in reality always been the case. 

The wide scale use and manufacture of Graphene seems limited although it seem to have potential. The same has happened to Buckminster fullerines another wonder material and in a sense to computing with Quantum computers.

The joy of blue sky research. These concepts arrive with a big bang and then take time to mature. That time is where Universities make their money.

it is also a very fragile and interlinked eco system. A definite consequence of Brexit is that this eco system is being altered dramatically.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

You seem to be clearly confused by the terminology used of Nationality and being a British National or citizen.

Nationality is defined as being the original country of birth and there are 6 types of British Nationality defined under the 1981 British Nationality Act. I am British by birth and therefore my nationality is British but I am not classed as a British National. The people we are talking about are British Nationals as they have applied and been essentially adopted in British law which accords them exactly the same rights as a native born British person.

The people who can be considered British are those that have been born in this country whether or not they have parents from other nationalities. Holding a British passport does not mean you are a native Briton. Now perhaps you can now do some research, look up the 1981 British Nationality Act and see whether this quote from you: 

"The two Nobel prize winners you quoted ARE BRITISH" fits in.. cough!

Are you absolutely crazy or ignorant?

Lets go back to basics.  On your passport, assuming you even have one, What does it say under the "Nationality"?  Seriously, it's not that hard.

Also, you have totally misunderstood the law.  Holding a British passport absolutely determines your nationality.  Being born in this country does not.  In fact, anyone born after 1st Jan 1983 IS NOT ENTITLED to a British passport by origin of birth alone.  So just being born in this country means absolutely nothing.

If you're a British Citizen, then you are British.  You fundamentally do not understand the British Nationality Act at all.

Also, what does "native Briton" even mean?  Is it supposed to make you feel superior in some way just because you were born in this country? 

13 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Also, what does "native Briton" even mean?  Is it supposed to make you feel superior in some way just because you were born in this country? 

I think he means Celts :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Britons

this old chestnut (we all know he means before all those nasty black and brown folk started coming in large numbers) but we all know The Romans invaded us in the FIRST century so that diluted our Celt ancestry a lot.

1 hour ago, ez8004 said:

Lets go back to basics.  On your passport, assuming you even have one, What does it say under the "Nationality"?  Seriously, it's not that hard.

Yes lets get back to basics.. My passport states: "British Subject; Citizen of The United Kingdom And Colonies." Now what does yours state?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law

Notice how it states in the heading paragraph "The law is complex due to the United Kingdom's historical status as an imperial power." Legally it is not as simple as stating that someone who has successfully applied for British Nationality is actually British but has adopted being British as their nationality therefor they are a British National.  Unlike British born subjects/citizens they can also have that right stripped from them. In this case as well, both of the people have dual nationality which means they can chose and it is perfectly correct for me to say they are Russian.

Just to add:

"British citizenship by birth in the United Kingdom or a qualified British Overseas Territory. From 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK or the Falkland Islands to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK or the Falkland Islands is automatically a British citizen by birth." :)

Edited by apelike
Forgot the emoji

4 hours ago, apelike said:

Yes lets get back to basics.. My passport states: "British Subject; Citizen of The United Kingdom And Colonies." Now what does yours state?

Notice how it states in the heading paragraph "The law is complex due to the United Kingdom's historical status as an imperial power." Legally it is not as simple as stating that someone who has successfully applied for British Nationality is actually British but has adopted being British as their nationality therefor they are a British National.  Unlike British born subjects/citizens they can also have that right stripped from them. In this case as well, both of the people have dual nationality which means they can chose and it is perfectly correct for me to say they are Russian.

Just to add:

"British citizenship by birth in the United Kingdom or a qualified British Overseas Territory. From 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK or the Falkland Islands to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK or the Falkland Islands is automatically a British citizen by birth." :)

Read my post #8410 again. Your inability of reading probably is still with you it seems. 

Your original post by calling them Russian was not a misinterpretation at all. You wanted to play the xenophobic card. Anyone with average IQ can see it. When I rightfully exposed you for it, you back tracked like a coward. 

24 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Read my post #8410 again. 

You mean this bit that I have replied to:

"In fact, anyone born after 1st Jan 1983 IS NOT ENTITLED to a British passport by origin of birth alone."

I replied:" From 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK or the Falkland Islands to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK or the Falkland Islands is automatically a British citizen by birth."

So yes they are entitled to a British passport by birth, its really not that confusing or hard to understand.

Your original post by calling them Russian was not a misinterpretation at all.

I know it wasn't and have never made out it was. Maybe you are not sure what misinterpretation means.

You wanted to play the xenophobic card.

Are you sure you know what xenophobic means because that is a pretty poor attempt? Jut to help you out a bit..

Xenophobic

Adjective

1. relating to or exhibiting fear or hatred of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers.

2. relating to or exhibiting fear or dislike of the customs, dress, etc., of people who are culturally different.

Seems like the person here who is xenophobic is you as you seem to hate anyone British who voted leave in the referendum as your numerous anti-leave posts show.

BTW you still have not answered my question as to what nationality it states on your passport! Come on now its only fair as I have stated what is stamped on mine. ;)

Edited by apelike

Your views are abhorrent apelike

The headline for me is that a person who becomes a British citizen will never be a proper Briton to you.

If people that are willing to follow a process that culminates in an affirmation of allegiance to the crown are not good enough for you, then what hope for those who simply seek residency after Brexit

At the very least your views are deeply xenophobic, at worst lord knows what is happening in your head

Take a good long look at yourself. Something has gone a bit wrong

17 hours ago, apelike said:

Just to add:

Weird, mine says

Nationality: British Citizen

Nothing else under that heading.

30 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Weird, mine says

Nationality: British Citizen

Nothing else under that heading.

So does mine.

I suspect apelike is either making it up or has a passport issued many years ago that hasn't been renewed and is therefore no longer valid.