The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

23 minutes ago, woodview said:

Correct. But, we are in a situation where 50% of the country wanted one thing and 50% wanted another. A compromise deal is what should have been the goal.

I don't supprt TMs deal, purely because of the potential for being locked in the transition indefinitely.

However, a deal like that, that ends unresitricted free movement, yet allows controlled sensible migration, a deal that allows trade to continue smoothly, aking to what is does now, is feasible, as it is what has been negotiated. The backstop has been the saving grace of those wanting to make Brexit as difficult as possible.

It is possible to have a deal that keeps both 'happy', or not livid at least,  if it excludes the aspects that both see as worse.

I don't think a compromise deal should have been the aim because that is unfair to leave voters who were the winners of the EU referendum.  The choice was a binary choice and if Remain had won by the same margin which Leave won by, then there would have been absolutely no compromise and the UK would have stayed fully in the EU.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

As I am getting tired of repeating, NOBODY won the EU referendum.

36% Leave

35% Remain

29% Undecided or didn't vote

Effectively split three ways with 1% between the first two and less than 8% between the first and last of the three. 

52%  Leave  -  48%  Remain     Leave WON

56 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Only 6 per cent of UK businesses trade with the EU.

Or 9%... or 11:-

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-businesses-export-eu/

How much do these businesses that trade with the EU contribute to the UK economy?

I'd be rather awkward if those businesses accounted for sizable chunk of the UK's economy, and were major employers..... oh.. hang on :?

13 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Unfortunately for leavers, it's a bit like winning a darwin award :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

15 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The choice was a binary choice and if Remain had won by the same margin which Leave won by, then there would have been absolutely no compromise and the UK would have stayed fully in the EU.

That's not what Nigel Farage said before the vote and I didn't hear any Leavers contradict him.

5 minutes ago, Litotes said:

That's not what Nigel Farage said before the vote and I didn't hear any Leavers contradict him.

Farage is a politician who is not in charge of the referendum or its outcome and not everybody who is a leaver listens to him. Basically it is immaterial what he may have said.

33 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

36% Leave

35% Remain

Effectively split three ways with 1% between the first two and less than 8% between the first and last of the three. 

Well stop repeating it then.   It was horse crap the last 1000 times you brought it up and its still horse crap now.

NON VOTERS dont count. 

When we have a vote its the total numbers of those who bothered to do so which form the result. 

The result of the referendum had 33,551,983 valid votes.

17,410,742 were for leave  (51.89%)

16,141,241  were for remain  (48.11%)

51.89% is MORE than 48.11%.     17,410,742 is MORE than 16,141,241.

Jesus christ, even if you want to be really childish about it and make some massive assumption that the 25,359  (0.08%) invalid or blank vote forms all just happen to side with remain, they still would fall short of winning.  

Its democracy.   The cross party parliament of democratically elected MPs had a majority winning vote agreeing to hold a referendum.     The cross party parliament of democratically elected MPs had a majority decision that they would uphold the results. 

Why is this so hard for you to understand. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

36 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

36% Leave

35% Remain

And I'm quite happy to keep reminding you that in our democracy those that didn't vote don't count so it was actually split 52% to 48% with leave winning, quite simple really. 

Looks like others are as well! :) Keeping on repeating it just shows how desperate you are.

Edited by apelike

38 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why is this so hard for you to understand. 

And the democratic wish of the country is to now have another vote so we can ratify (or not) the deal that has been offered.

But this is being undemocratically ignored by the dictatorship that is the government.

Why is this so hard for you to understand.?