The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

17 minutes ago, woodview said:

Ford announced widespread cuts across its European operations on Thursday, although large-scale job losses are not expected in the UK.

According the analysts on the TV today, more to come... possibly this afternoon.

There are lots of problems in car manufacturing. Not everything is Brexit caused.

... but some things are, like the loss of £1.2bn that no-deal will cause for JLR.

Gregg Clarke confirms that Brexit is like kicking the company while they're down :?

I agree there are lots of potential problems brexit could cause, but we can't jump up and down and point everything at it.

Why not? They're legitimate concerns, to ignore them would be the height of foolishness.

Already, medicines are being restricted or in short supply to patients because stockpiling is depleting supply to pharmacists :loopy:

Can you explain what Corbyn's / Labours brexit position is?

According to his press conference in Wakefield an hour ago, CU membership, certainly there is no notion of no-deal being at all acceptable.

Edited by Magilla

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

Ford announced widespread cuts across its European operations on Thursday, although large-scale job losses are not expected in the UK. 

There are lots of problems in car manufacturing. Not everything is Brexit caused.

I agree there are lots of potential problems brexit could cause, but we can't jump up and down and point everything at it.

Can you explain what Corbyn's / Labours brexit position is?

I wish I knew.

It might be a credible opposition if it had come up with any proposal to advance the Brexit process.

Corbyns only aim is to force a GE,which Labour could well lose,and if they should scrape through I have no faith that they could negotiate a majority deal

Looks like the Lib Dem’s or the Greens for me because I am sick of the games currently being played.

8 minutes ago, Magilla said:

According the analysts on the TV today, more to come... possibly this afternoon.

... but some things are, like the loss of £1.2bn that no-deal will cause for JLR.

Gregg Clarke confirms that Brexit is like kicking the company while they're down :?

Why not? They're legitimate concerns, to ignore them would be the height of foolishness.

Already, medicines are being restricted or in short supply to patients because stockpiling is depleting supply to pharmacists :loopy:

According to his press conference in Wakefield an hour ago, CU membership, certainly there is no notion of no-deal being at all acceptable.

They don't currently have this potential £1.2bn cost. The current situation is largely down to current market conditions. Ford is doing exactly the same in europe. There are major issues with the market in china and the us. brexit is a concern for the future, if it isn't delivered well, it will cause disruption. But you cannot sensibly blame everything on it, when there are clearly other issues at play. You can't claim to be analytical and knowledgeable then just act like a racist blaming everything on immigration.

In terms of Labour. Am I right in thinking that this CU they are proposing, involves continuing with free movement, and accepting all future EU regulation? Does that deliver brexit in any shape or form (apart from in name)???

7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I wish I knew.

It might be a credible opposition if it had come up with any proposal to advance the Brexit process.

Corbyns only aim is to force a GE,which Labour could well lose,and if they should scrape through I have no faith that they could negotiate a majority deal

Looks like the Lib Dem’s or the Greens for me because I am sick of the games currently being played.

In all honesty, I prefer the stance of the greens and libdems. They are pro-remain. They are clear about it, and will campaign on that basis. I fully respect that.

Labour are just talking waffle.

A gm will solve nothing. Firstly, they wouldn't win it, second they won't deliver brexit, apart from a crap fudge that is actually the same as being still a member. If they support remaining, why not just have that as policy?

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Who're you going to vote for if Corbyn get his GE, 'cos he certainly won't deliver the Brexit you want :hihi:

But that is a very big if.. He may force a GE but unless he can work miracles Labour are highly unlikely to win it so he will not get to be the next PM. He has even stated that he would seek to delay Brexit and renegotiate a deal even though the EU have already rejected any idea of renegotiating one. He really has no plan either.

Edited by apelike

9 minutes ago, woodview said:

In terms of Labour. Am I right in thinking that this CU they are proposing, involves continuing with free movement, and accepting all future EU regulation? Does that deliver brexit in any shape or form (apart from in name)???

Yes from what I've read in the news it will put us in the EU in all but name.  May's deal had us fairly close, but we may as well paddle our little Island right over to the French coast with Corbyn's proposal.

Edited by geared

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

In all honesty, I prefer the stance of the greens and libdems. They are pro-remain.

The Lib/Dems also proposed in their 2017 manifesto to hold a second referendum but with the option of staying in the EU which seems strange as that option was on the 2016 referendum paper. In other words they are not really pro-remain as other manifestos of theirs in the past also wanted a referendum. Just like Corbyn they are just playing political games.

1 minute ago, apelike said:

The Lib/Dems also proposed in their 2017 manifesto to hold a second referendum but with the option of staying in the EU which seems strange as that option was on the 2016 referendum paper. In other words they are not really pro-remain as other manifestos of theirs in the past also wanted a referendum. Just like Corbyn they are just playing political games.

Their manifesto does say hold a second referendum. But it also says they are passionately pro-eu and want to remain. I take that as , they would use their mp's to push for a referendum, but if they won outright in a gm, they would simply stay as it's clearly their policy.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

They don't currently have this potential £1.2bn cost...

They will on no-deal or any eventual trade deal stemming from Mays withdrawal agreement, since that states that the UK will respect the indivisibility of the four freedoms.

There will be no-freedom of movement of goods in any trade deal with the EU without the others.

The current situation is largely down to current market conditions. But you cannot sensibly blame everything on it, when there are clearly other issues at play.

I didn't, I refered *specifically* to the costs they'll incur as a result of disruption to their JIT supply chains on the event of no-deal :rolleyes:

In terms of Labour. Am I right in thinking that this CU they are proposing, involves continuing with free movement, and accepting all future EU regulation? Does that deliver brexit in any shape or form (apart from in name)?

I can only relay what Corbyn himself said this morning on the TV.

In all honesty, I prefer the stance of the greens and libdems. They are pro-remain. They are clear about it, and will campaign on that basis. I fully respect that.

Same.

Labour are just talking waffle.

Agree entirely, though the red-lines that have prevented a "sane" deal aren't Corbyns to uphold, so that might be helpful.

A gm will solve nothing. Firstly, they wouldn't win it, second they won't deliver brexit, apart from a crap fudge that is actually the same as being still a member. If they support remaining, why not just have that as policy?

A CU isn't remaining by any stretch of the imagination, but yeah, I agree... I don't think they'll win a GE unless they specifically come out for a people's vote or simply remaining (IMHO), hence my question to Car Boot.

Even I might consider voting for 'em under those circumstances :shocked:

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, geared said:

Yes from what I've read in the news it will put us in the EU in all but name.  May's deal had us fairly close, but we may as well paddle our little Island right over to the French coast with Corbyn's proposal.

I think the key difference with corbyn is that he wants the eu shackles off so he can nationalise anything he wants. I’m not clear on the specifics but the EU have barriers in place that he wants to shift. Customs union, immigration - which I’d guess a lot of his core voters are bothered about - really aren’t on his radar.

But if and when he gets to number 10, it’s a done deal and he won’t get a say anyway. The eu won’t be pushing goalposts around every time there’s a new idiot in number 10.