Repair or replace washing machine?

IMO its fixable, if you can use a spanner & screwdriver its got to be worth a look. Take photos/video as you take it apart and reverse the dissassembly procedure

Mechanical parts like door and door seals are pretty easy, what have you got to lose? Even motor brushes (which seem to go eventually too) are ok but electrical gremlins seem to need a computer connecting to the thing, once sensors, electrical boards and controllers are dodgy that a whole different game

Slightly off topic, but quite relevant I think. Our Kenwood American style fridge/freezer broke down, after only 6 months. It was written off and we were invited to go back and pick a replacement.

How can you write off a 6 month old appliance without even attempting a repair. It's a sign of the times we live in I suppose, we have become a throw away society.

Angel1.

Where in Sheffield are you. There must be people in Sheffield who fix this £50 labour plus parts.

If you we're my neighbour I fix it for free as long as you pay the parts, sounds like a simple job.

a new door hinge is less than £20 online (amazon for a gen one or espares). Buy one then look on youtube at the guides of how to change it. If its just the hinge then its a ten min job just to unscrew the old one, remove and fit the new one

I agree sheffbag, it worked for me in respect of an ‘obsolete’ part.

Edited by Calahonda

Sadly Bosch are not what they used to be I have had mine 3 years and it’s been poor clothes come out really damp as the fast spin is so short so have to put it on separate spin cycle after it’s also really noisy the LG I had before was much better.

Sadly Bosch are not what they used to be I have had mine 3 years and it’s been poor clothes come out really damp as the fast spin is so short so have to put it on separate spin cycle after it’s also really noisy the LG I had before was much better.

Is it properly leveled and all feet adjust? If it is wobbly it won't spin as well and make noise.

Is it properly leveled and all feet adjust? If it is wobbly it won't spin as well and make noise.

Good point, we levelled a paving stone, and then levelled the washer onto it. I advise googling the model number, find the part number and then get searching, we needed a filter that cost circa £50.00, we managed to find one for £22.00.

Thanks but went down that route and it is.

Checked some reviews and its a common problem with that model, other than the spin only programme there is only one programme with a decent spin and it takes 2 and a half hours.

Thanks, everyone! I panicked and booked the appointment so we'll have overpaid for this repair. I'm a bit dangerous with a spanner, so maybe for the best, but I'm kind of excited to know that YouTube has videos like this.

Maybe next time I'll work up some courage and try it myself.

Dozer

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 17:24 ----------

Good news on this, they fixed it in one, and only charged £20 for the parts. Not as good a deal as if I had tried the DIY route, which may have been fun, but based on prior experience would likely have ended up with bandages and swearinf.

Thanks again, everyone.