Kennels/Boarding for RABBITS! (and other small animals)

OxfordAlly

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for replies

I called the small animal holiday home place who were full up but they put me in touch with another place.

So for further info the number is 2550308 and its Tina and Dave.

Obvioulsy haven't taken bunnies there yet so can't recommend or otherwise but they sounded very friendly and its only £2.50 per night for both of them and they have runs as well. I'll let people know what it was like once i'm back from holls

Ally

We took our house rabbits to tina and dave and they were brilliant. Rabbits loved it. We also came home with 2 baby rabbits (husband couldnt resist them) Will be using them again. They are not doing it to make money they do it for the love of the animals. Would highly reccommend

VHD and myxomatosis

Can I suggest that people have their rabbits vaccinated against VHD and myxomatosis before they are boarded anywhere. However not immediately before they go on holiday because the jabs lower the rabbits immune system for a short time after the vaccine is administered.

Whilst I would expect most people who board rabbits to ask for proof that animals have been vaccinated, ultimately it is in your rabbits interest vaccinations are up to date. Rabbits in close proximity to other rabbits have a higher risk of contracting one of these terrible diseases. In this case prevention is better than cure, because VHD is fatal, and myxomatosis (if caught in time) requires very intense nursing. :(

Of course, your rabbit(s) should always be up to date on both VHD and myxomatosis. The frequency of booster jabs is determined by how prevalent the disease is in your locality. Your vet will advise.

Sorry to always seem like the bearer of bad news where rabbits are concerned. Rabbit are really great pets and companions, but, as with all pets, need looking after properly.

I agree entirely grinderbloke! All rabbit owners should have their pet vaccinated against vhd & and myxomatosis . Any reputable boarder will insist on seeing the pets vaccination record before boarding. If they don't, then personally I would take your pet to board elsewhere.

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease. It’s a deadly disease that any rabbit can catch, and it kills most of those that get it.

Myxomatosis is a condition characterized by the presence of myxomas in the body; specifically : a severe disease of rabbits that is caused by a poxvirus (genus Leporipoxvirus),

VHD and myxomatosis

Can I suggest that people have their rabbits vaccinated against VHD and myxomatosis before they are boarded anywhere. However not immediately before they go on holiday because the jabs lower the rabbits immune system for a short time after the vaccine is administered.

Whilst I would expect most people who board rabbits to ask for proof that animals have been vaccinated, ultimately it is in your rabbits interest vaccinations are up to date. Rabbits in close proximity to other rabbits have a higher risk of contracting one of these terrible diseases. In this case prevention is better than cure, because VHD is fatal, and myxomatosis (if caught in time) requires very intense nursing. :(

Of course, your rabbit(s) should always be up to date on both VHD and myxomatosis. The frequency of booster jabs is determined by how prevalent the disease is in your locality. Your vet will advise.

Sorry to always seem like the bearer of bad news where rabbits are concerned. Rabbit are really great pets and companions, but, as with all pets, need looking after properly.

thanks grindebloke thats very healpful, my rabbit visited the vets often, its just a shame that they didn't mention about these vaccines. If I ever have another one I will make sure It has them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived