Building next to Hen and Chickens

I always thought that was a bonded warehouse,the bottom section.
The building in the photo is shown in directories as a police station, but Wiley's bonded warehouse was just across Castle Green - see here (from the 1942 Kelly's Directory).

My memory is that this building was on the corner of bridge street and castle green.
The building on the corner of Bridge Street was the Bridge Inn, adjacent to Gilmour's brewery (here is a link to a picturesheffield photo). It is shown as "P.H" on this 1950s map (available via the SheffieldHistory site). The building next to the Hen & Chickens (arrowed in blue) was the police station that extended through to Water Lane as MICK BADGER noted above. Edited by hillsbro

The building in the photo is shown in directories as a police station, but Wiley's bonded warehouse was just across Castle Green - see here (from the 1942 Kelly's Directory).

Wasn't Duncan Gilmour's brewery at the bottom of Castle Green before Tetley's took them over a shut the place ?

Edited by St Petre
Add

I always thought the bonded warehouse was opposite numbers 15 and 17 on your map,which backed onto the brewery yard.
The building opposite Nos 15/17 on the map (demolished c. 1963) would have belonged to the brewery. It may have been a bonded warehouse, though this isn't mentioned in directories. But the OP is asking about the building next to the Hen & Chickens in the photo. This was Castle Green police station.
Wasn't Duncan Gilmour's brewery at the bottom of Castle Green before Tetley's took them over a shut the place?
Yes, Gilmour's "Lady's Bridge Brewery" was just round the corner on Bridge Street as shown on the map. Tetley's took over Gilmour's in 1954 but the brewery survived a few more years before being closed and demolished (it is shown in directories up to 1962). Although most buildings in Castle Green are not numbered in directories, I think Tennant's stables would have been at Nos. 9/11 as shown on the map, with a wide, oblique entry through to the stable yard. Tennant's "Exchange Brewery" on the corner of Lady's Bridge survived until 1993. Edited by hillsbro

• 4 weeks later...

Was the entrance to the old Crown Court opposite Castle House? I remember over 50 years ago as a kid standing outside the Co-op next to the Cannon pub with lots of other people watching the judges in their robes going into the building.