Building next to Hen and Chickens

The building opposite Nos 15/17 on the map (demolished c. 1963) would have belonged to the brewery. It may have been a bonded warehouse, though this isn't mentioned in directories. But the OP is asking about the building next to the Hen & Chickens in the photo. This was Castle Green police station.Yes, Gilmour's "Lady's Bridge Brewery" was just round the corner on Bridge Street as shown on the map. Tetley's took over Gilmour's in 1954 but the brewery survived a few more years before being closed and demolished (it is shown in directories up to 1962). Although most buildings in Castle Green are not numbered in directories, I think Tennant's stables would have been at Nos. 9/11 as shown on the map, with a wide, oblique entry through to the stable yard. Tennant's "Exchange Brewery" on the corner of Lady's Bridge survived until 1993.

My Bold

far be it for me to correct hillsbro but, wasnt the exchange brrewery on millsands?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/4c023c8f-6b5c-49c2-9233-bea42be820f4

[/b]

My Bold

far be it for me to correct hillsbro but, wasnt the exchange brrewery on millsands?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/4c023c8f-6b5c-49c2-9233-bea42be820f4

Yes, Tennant's/Whitbread's Exchange brewery was on both Bridge Street and Millsands.Castle Green was opposite ,on the other side of Bridge Street

Yes, Tennant's/Whitbread's Exchange brewery was on both Bridge Street and Millsands.Castle Green was opposite ,on the other side of Bridge Street

yes a bus crashed into the canteen wall on bridge street many moons ago.

It was between Lady's Bridge, Bridge Street, Millsands and the river. The postal address was actually Bridge Street where the main entrance was (scan ex Kelly's Directory - picturesheffield agrees!).

I stand to be corrected hillsbro, i was misled by what it said on the deeds (millsands)

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 22:14 ----------

Kikdley, was it the Canteen then, or the previous occupiers Gray's Motorcycles ?

to the best of my knowledge it was Whitbread's canteen, thats what i was told by the then Whitbread's workers,

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 22:28 ----------

quote from whitbread employe on s/f

C&P

craig3636

anyone remember when the bus went straight through the wall into the canteen!?

shane

Yeh, i remember that bus that went through the wall.it was parked empty at bridge street bus station which was on a slope.the handbrake failed and it rolled straight through the wall 2 or 3 feet.must have been early 80's i guess

Edited by kidley

I always thought that was a bonded warehouse,the bottom section.

YEs Kiddory, didn't Tennant's have something to do with the people-whose name I forget- Like co-owners,partners perhaps and they imported wines, spirits and maybe cigars for distribution to Tennant's pubs ? Hence the bonded warehouse on Castle Green.

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 10:07 ----------

I stand to be corrected hillsbro, i was misled by what it said on the deeds (millsands)

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 22:14 ----------

to the best of my knowledge it was Whitbread's canteen, thats what i was told by the then Whitbread's workers,

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 22:28 ----------

quote from whitbread employe on s/f

C&P

craig3636

anyone remember when the bus went straight through the wall into the canteen!?

shane

Yeh, i remember that bus that went through the wall.it was parked empty at bridge street bus station which was on a slope.the handbrake failed and it rolled straight through the wall 2 or 3 feet.must have been early 80's i guess

There was also another 'bus handbrake' incident at that Bridge Street site perhaps mid 60's when one of the older type buses (backloaders) rolled down into the men's toilet building that was between the bus terminal and Whitbread's canteen.