Would you use a second hand coffin?

ive heard they do remove the coffin before they cremate, should ask mi cousin really, she works at an undertakers
.......she's not going to blow the whistle Mel surely!........but I cant believe they burn those beautiful wood boxes with brass hinges etc each time..........maybe it's just the Sid James in me!

ive heard they do remove the coffin before they cremate, should ask mi cousin really, she works at an undertakers

No the body is not removed from the coffin.....

30 odd years ago, whilst employed with an electrical contractor we had a contract to do some work at City Road Crematorium, me and my mate were working in the crematoria and whilst in there saw the bloke operating the furnace waiting for the coffin to arrive from the rollers as the curtain shut.

As soon as the coffin appeared, it was pushed into the furnace, the door closed and the gas taps turned on and ignited.......after a few minutes, the operator would shove a long metal

pole ( 3 - 4 metres in length ) through an hole in the furnace door to break up the skeleton.

No the body is not removed from the coffin.....

30 odd years ago, whilst employed with an electrical contractor we had a contract to do some work at City Road Crematorium, me and my mate were working in the crematoria and whilst in there saw the bloke operating the furnace waiting for the coffin to arrive from the rollers as the curtain shut.

As soon as the coffin appeared, it was pushed into the furnace, the door closed and the gas taps turned on and ignited.......after a few minutes, the operator would shove a long metal

pole ( 3 - 4 metres in length ) through an hole in the furnace door to break up the skeleton.

........but that was 30 odd years ago!

I'd prefer to not bother with a coffin at all, to be honest. Both of us have decided that a direct to cremation would be far more our thing than a funeral too, so there would be no need for anything more than a body bag for either of us.

If a coffin was necessary, how about one of those metal ones with the end that lifts up so that the occupant can be tipped into paupers' graves? It could be reused pretty much infinitely then.