Thailand Cave Rescue.

I wondered how long it would take for the apportionment of blame posts to appear. Perhaps it would by wise to wait for the Thai authorities to conduct their enquiry before slinging mud.

Great result, other than for the diver who lost his life attempting to save the lives of others.

First bold - Because it's rainy season, the cave system is prone to flooding and he's responsible for 12 boys?

Second bold - Please look up what the word 'geological' means.

Most cave systems are prone to flooding - thats how they get formed by the action of water.

There is risk present in all sections of life. I take Scouts caving - I'm asked to constantly reduce the risk to them in flood prone caves. The quickest way to do that?

Insist they travel to the site by train not car.

Risk is relative. Without knowing the relative risk present in this cave, it seems unreasonable to castigate him in this manner

---------- Post added 10-07-2018 at 16:53 ----------

I wondered how long it would take for the apportionment of blame posts to appear. Perhaps it would by wise to wait for the Thai authorities to conduct their enquiry before slinging mud.

Great result, other than for the diver who lost his life attempting to save the lives of others.

Small comfort it may be to his family but at least he didn't die in vain.

Most cave systems are prone to flooding - thats how they get formed by the action of water.

There is risk present in all sections of life. I take Scouts caving - I'm asked to constantly reduce the risk to them in flood prone caves. The quickest way to do that?

Insist they travel to the site by train not car.

Risk is relative. Without knowing the relative risk present in this cave, it seems unreasonable to castigate him in this manner

---------- Post added 10-07-2018 at 16:53 ----------

Small comfort it may be to his family but at least he didn't die in vain.

I thought I'd been quite careful not to castigate him actually - hence my 'it remains to be seen' in answer to the 'it wasn't the coaches fault' offered by blake. If you think my comments re checking the weather forecast or researching whether the caves flood are contrary to good sense, please let me know.

Having said that, congratulations to all involved - and my only sadness is for the family and friends of the diver who died. I too hope that his loss is at least tempered a little by the fact that died doing an incredibly brave and selfless act in the service of others in peril.