Bins they are a'changin

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 2:27 PM, bazjea said:

Large bins are available for large families. Have alook at Veolia website,or contact them via phone number below

VEOLIA SHEFFIELD

Lumley Street

Sheffield

S4 7ZJ

Tel: 0114 273 4567

The call centre is open Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm.

Perhaps these larger bins could solve the eyesore and health hazard apparent on Owler Lane.

There is a row of perhaps a dozen bins or more along the pavement,mostly overflowing ,and surrounded by additional burst black bags.

I have some sympathy for these householders who have no obvious place to store their bins other than on the pavement.

I don’t know what the answer is but I would not like the job of clearing this mess on our streets.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, Cyclone said:

On 11/2/2018 at 11:53 AM, Daven said:

Our blue bin was emptied earlier this week - the first time since it changed to paper and cardboard.

Well, when I say 'emptied' I mean it must have gone on the back of the waggon but was returned with half of it's contents still in :rolleyes:

Same here, twice in a row. The blue bin is barely big enough to take all our paper and cardboard, without starting the month off already half-full.  

The problem is the shape of the bin, it's so narrow at the bottom the paper gets wedged in by the weight of the stuff on top. I've been really carefull to tear everything up into small peices. I even tipped it up and loosened it all after the first time it happened, but it made no difference. 

Edited by Olive

1 minute ago, alarmingmark said:

Think the council got it wrong again ....should have been the larger brown bin for the paper , and blue for the bottles and plastic ...

I suppose its all subjective tho, its working out well in our household as it is. 

11 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I suppose its all subjective tho, its working out well in our household as it is. 

It's bound to vary for different households.  For us, the brown bin is a great improvement over the boxes, but the blue bin is no longer big enough now that paper and card are on a 4-week collection.  However, they do collect neatly boxed paper and card left beside the blue bin.

12 hours ago, alarmingmark said:

Think the council got it wrong again ....should have been the larger brown bin for the paper , and blue for the bottles and plastic …

That's definitely the case for us.  We could probably go for about 6 months without the brown bin needing to be emptied, whereas the blue bin is just about big enough.  Providing it actually gets emptied properly.   Which it doesn't.  But it's more a case that it's a really bad design for the purpose it's now being used for.

22 hours ago, iansheff said:

I am not sure whether to try putting the shredded paper in, don't want it going all over the street.

I asked about this. They say you can put shredded paper in the blue bin but inside a paper bag or cardboard box so it doesn't blow out when the bin is tipped into the truck.

Edited by adamf

1 hour ago, adamf said:

I asked about this. They say you can put shredded paper in the blue bin but inside a paper bag or cardboard box so it doesn't blow out when the bin is tipped into the truck.

I will just take it to the tip and empty it there then, not got anything suitable to put a lot of shredding in.