Does anyone still eat tripe?

I must admit that the way we used to eat tripe back in the 60's was certainly not the best way to enjoy it. I visit Spain quite a lot and the way they cook tripe or callos (in Spanish), is fantastic, it makes for a wonderful tasty stew type meal, served with fresh crusty bread there's nothing better.

One Spanish tripe recipe HERE https://www.thespruceeats.com/madrid-style-tripe-recipe-callos-madrilenos-3082870 similar to the one I mention but I'm sure a trawl of the net will produce others.

Does anyone remember UCP shops and restaurants back then? UCP stood for United Cow/Cattle Products I believe and tripe and cow heels were the staple food. Not sure if they were in Yorkshire but in Lancashire where I grew up they were quite popular.

I can remember a tripe stall in Castle Market. You could buy plates of tripe to eat standing at the counter.

I’m sure the stall was there just weeks before the old market closed.

I have only been in the new moor market a few time, can’t remember seeing a tripe stall.

I liked tripe with salt and vinegar too also cow heel, which was also good added to a stew. However my favourite was bag and chitterlings,with lots of salt and vinegar and bread and butter, but like some posters have said, not sure if I could handle it today. My grandad who worked part-time in an abattoir(he was a coal miner) used to say when he saw me eating that stuff, " If tha saw weer that come from tha'd never touch it agean":D

Disinfectant? That's probably due to Health & Safety.?

Disinfectant ? Perhaps they should rename it Bovine innards a la Izal.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 18:54 ----------

My dad used to have tripe and

nd Cow heel every Saturday,he died relatively young.

Edited by St Petre
Spell