Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

I'm pretty healthy and examples of people my age dying suddenly are statistically rare.

So I'm pretty confident that I'll see out tomorrow.

So what?

I am also pretty confident that we won't get hit by a meteorite tomorrow, but I will admit there's an infinitesimal chance that it could happen.

So with faith.

What gets me, is that people with no faith in a God are so vehement in their belief, that they are totally dogmatic and blind to the possibilities. What is worse, they are rude and utterly contemptuous and insulting to those that do.

They forget that they don't know everything, that there are still mysteries that no one has the answers to, and that science and theology are closer than they think. A little humility and at least a scintilla of doubt would do them no end of good.

Edited by Anna B

Lol, you've got to be kidding me. For a start you've assumed my position. However, for the record, I'm aware that people can die from unnatural causes.

Just get to your point.

I'm not assuming anything. You're the one that stated the statistical evidence that ' alledgedly' supports your belief for which you claim people of your age bracket and health group have good reason to believe they'll still be alive tomorrow.

I'm not assuming anything. You're the one that stated the statistical evidence that ' alledgedly' supports your belief for which you claim people of your age bracket and health group have good reason to believe they'll still be alive tomorrow.

Yep, so what?

Correction: I know she loves me. At least, I truly believe she does. Nonetheless, There's no possible way to prove the existence of that love, As we're all aware, its no more than an abstract concept that's manifested by my mind. As are any doubts and suspicions I might have.

It's rather odd though, for there to be no evidence of love in a loving relationship.

In your case, why do you believe your partner loves you?

Because there's evidence to support it.

Seriously again, what's your point?

What evidence? And why didn't this evidence apply to countless other individuals that died prematurely despite being as young and healthy as you?

What evidence? And why didn't this evidence apply to countless other individuals that died prematurely despite being as young and healthy as you?

There you go.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancies/bulletins/nationallifetablesunitedkingdom/2014to2016

Tell you what, if I don't wake up in the morning, I'll admit that you were right.

It's rather odd though, for there to be no evidence of love in a loving relationship.

In your case, why do you believe your partner loves you?

Our relationship isn't lacking love by any means. However, if we were asked to prove the existence of that love we couldn't. our belief isn't in question. it's only sceptics that would ask us to prove the existence of the love we feel.

---------- Post added 28-07-2018 at 23:11 ----------

There you go.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancies/bulletins/nationallifetablesunitedkingdom/2014to2016

Tell you what, if I don't wake up in the morning, I'll admit that you were right.

That's ridiculous. The odds of you meeting an untimely death is no different to ours. Those statistics are based on life expectancy rates. So I'll ask you again- Why are you assuming you'll die a natural death?