Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

That's life.

"That's what the people say"...

Seriously. What supports your belief of you not dying tomorrow? Someone is bound to die tomorrow, so what makes you so certain it wont be you?

I'll admit it's becoming a little grim but I'm really interested in understanding this death defying belief of yours.

"That's what the people say"...

Seriously. What supports your belief of you not dying tomorrow? Someone is bound to die tomorrow, so what makes you so certain it wont be you?

I'll admit it's becoming a little grim but I'm really interested in understanding this death defying belief of yours.

Do you believe that death is an entity, is that part of the 'greater something'?

Our relationship isn't lacking love by any means. However, if we were asked to prove the existence of that love we couldn't. our belief isn't in question. it's only sceptics that would ask us to prove the existence of the love we feel.

I never mentioned anything about proof, merely evidence. If you are conflating the two it may be one of the reasons why your posting appears so muddled.

Ahhh, but what comes after...?

Strangely more people believe in the possibility of 'life after death' than believe in a God.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5144766/Most-people-believe-in-life-after-death-study-finds.html

That's called an appeal to popularity, it's a logical fallacy.

The number of people that believe something has no bearing on whether that belief is right.

Edited by SnailyBoy

Strangely more people believe in the possibility of 'life after death' than believe in a God.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5144766/Most-people-believe-in-life-after-death-study-finds.html

I suppose in the ever more complex world we live in, the proportion of people who turn to religion and superstitious beliefs to try to make sense of it and give order to their lives.

I can understand why someone would want spirituality in their life but as I've got older and seen the oppression and harm that organised religion cause I find it quite depressing really.

Most likely, nothing

I would say that makes sense, many people can't wrap their head around their thoughts, emotions & consciousness simply ceasing, or are terrified by the concept. It can be reassuring to believe that when they and their loved ones die, they continue in some form. This is easy for them to believe.

In a world where (seemingly) bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people, it can be harder to justify belief in existence of gods.

That was in 2008.

Quite a shift in 2013:

https://www.theosthinktank.co.uk/in-the-news/2013/10/20/twenty-nine-point-swing-against-heaven

Do you believe that death is an entity, is that part of the 'greater something'?
No. I don't believe it's an entity. I believe it's the final stage of life. But you've given me the impression that you believe your death won't occur far many years yet since you're relatively young and quite healthy, which suggests you believe age and health dictate life expectancy, whereas I believe death can occur at any time regardless of age or health. I'm not saying 'say your last goodbye's to everyone just in case you kipper-it in the next half hour', I'm just curious about this belief/notion of yours.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 10:17 ----------

I never mentioned anything about proof, merely evidence. If you are conflating the two it may be one of the reasons why your posting appears so muddled.

My point about sceptics wanting proof wasn't aimed at you personally. I was addressing sceptics in general who demand physical proof of somethings existence before they'll accept its existence. My point being- Love is abstract, it's subjective, it cant be measured or tested, neither can it be proved to be genuine. In short- Feeling loved is the measure of our own inner faith, not the visual and verbal evidence required by sceptics. I hope I've made my point clearer.

Edited by danot