Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

What evidence do you have for your belief in this 'something' that defies physical laws and logic?

You've defined it as undemonstrable as well, convenient eh. Why should we even talk to you about this undemonstratable thing, it sounds like a figment of your imagination.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 17:24 ----------

No one knows their fate. I make plans because that's what everyday life involves. It also involves making plans in the event of death, which could be years away, it could be tomorrow, I don't know. But I hope it's years away, which is why I plan for the future.

How do you believe that this is related to the question of faith or religion? Was there some point you wished to make?

The fact that some people are going to die unexpectedly in the next few seconds doesn't make it likely that you (or I) are amongst that group. So to believe that you are would not be evidence based.

To believe that you aren't WOULD be evidence based, and logical.

Which doesn't mean that I won't slip on the stairs in a few minutes, but it isn't faith to believe that I won't.

This so-called evidence applies to everyone. This includes you, me, those who'll die unexpectedly tomorrow, everyone. Those who'll die unexpectedly tomorrow aren't in any special group, they're in our group. There's only one.

Definition of supernatural: "A force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature".

Now that's a silly question. C'mon.

Silly question regarding your supernatural something?

You might not like this one either.

What attributes does this supernatural something have?

What evidence do you have for your belief in this 'something' that defies physical laws and logic?

You've defined it as undemonstrable as well, convenient eh. Why should we even talk to you about this undemonstratable thing, it sounds like a figment of your imagination.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 17:24 ----------

How do you believe that this is related to the question of faith or religion? Was there some point you wished to make?

Anything that springs into existence prior to the existence of time and space must defy physical laws and logic. Anyhow. We've been warned about drifting off-topic already so lets not push it.

Anything that springs into existence prior to the existence of time and space must defy physical laws and logic. Anyhow. We've been warned about drifting off-topic already so lets not push it.

Why do you imagine that something existed before anything existed? Isn't that a just nonsense?

Well, the topic has certainly changed from the original title, it seems to be about faith now, you're trying to demonstrate (I think) that common beliefs rely on faith, when we're saying that they rely on evidence, and demonstrating that by spelling out the evidence.

Silly question regarding your supernatural something?

You might not like this one either.

What attributes does this supernatural something have?

It's very nature is beyond human comprehension. That's why humans believe the existence of everything is attributable to either a creator or miraculous particles springing into existence out of nothing.

It's very nature is beyond human comprehension. That's why humans believe the existence of everything is attributable to either a creator or miraculous particles springing into existence out of nothing.

How did you determine there are only two explanations for the origin of the Universe?

Why do you imagine that something existed before anything existed? Isn't that a just nonsense?

Well, the topic has certainly changed from the original title, it seems to be about faith now, you're trying to demonstrate (I think) that common beliefs rely on faith, when we're saying that they rely on evidence, and demonstrating that by spelling out the evidence.

I don't, but it's one theory. So is the universe having always existed. Personally, I reject both theories.

I'm quite content believing that there's an unexplainable phenomena, 'something far greater that myself in operation.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 17:59 ----------

I don't, but it's one theory. So is the universe having always existed. Personally, I reject both theories.

I'm quite content believing that there's an unexplainable phenomena, 'something far greater that myself in operation.

How did you determine there are only two explanations for the origin of the Universe?
I realise there's more than two, including the one above. Edited by danot

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 17:59 ----------

I realise there's more than two, including the one above.

So to sum up, you have detailed an unexplainable phenomena which is beyond human comprehension, existed before time and space and defies logic.

Why do you believe it exists?