Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

I said religious people refer to the 'something' as God. I prefer to refer to it as 'something far greater than myself '. How is that erratic and illogical?

Because there's a thing that other people believe in, they call it God, you believe in it too but you say you don't believe in God. It sounds like what you mean to say is that you don't like to use the word God to describe what everyone else calls God.

If it is nature, then our understanding of universal and natural laws don't apply to it, because it defies them. It defies logic. Now that does sound erratic and illogical.

I know, right?!!

So...

why do they call it nature? :suspect:

It's very nature is beyond human comprehension. That's why humans believe the existence of everything is attributable to either a creator or miraculous particles springing into existence out of nothing.

And yet, without evidence, you comprehend that it exists... :huh:

So to sum up, you have detailed an unexplainable phenomena which is beyond human comprehension, existed before time and space and defies logic.

Why do you believe it exists?

Because the nature of its origins has been subject to scientific study for thousands of years.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 20:13 ----------

Because there's a thing that other people believe in, they call it God, you believe in it too but you say you don't believe in God. It sounds like what you mean to say is that you don't like to use the word God to describe what everyone else calls God.

I know, right?!!

So...

Because everything that exists is the product of nature. It sounds like what you meant to ask me is 'What is nature'? :cool:

And yet, without evidence, you comprehend that it exists... :huh:

It does exist. Even you know it exists. You just dismiss the idea of it because you cant explain why it exists or how it came into existence.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 20:35 ----------

Science doesn't study the supernatural.

So, why do you believe it exists?

Definition of Supernatural: Anything that cannot be attributed to nature or explained by science. It's fair to say that it can't be a product of nature since it is nature, so that point fits the definition. And scientist cant explain the origins of it, so that point fits too.

It's supernatural by definition.

Edited by danot

Silly question regarding your supernatural something?

You might not like this one either.

What attributes does this supernatural something have?

That's a bit like asking 'What do you know about this unknown entity...?'

Definition of Supernatural: Anything that cannot be attributed to nature or explained by science. It's fair to say that it can't be a product of nature since it is nature, so that point fits the definition. And scientist cant explain the origins of it, so that point fits too.

It's supernatural by definition.

So for the 3rd time. Why do you believe it exists?

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 20:41 ----------

That's a bit like asking 'What do you know about this unknown entity...?'

Yep, awkward isn't it?

Snipped to save time, context left intact...

The 'something' I believe in does exist. Religious folk refer to it as God, some may refer to it as nature, which I believe defines everything in existence, not just nature as we know it

If it is nature then fine, but it already has a name and is fully definable, so why try to cloud it in ambiguity?

If it is nature, then our understanding of universal and natural laws don't apply to it, because it defies them. It defies logic. Now that does sound erratic and illogical

I know, right?!!

So...

Because everything that exists is the product of nature. It sounds like what you meant to ask me is 'What is nature'? :cool:

Most definitely supernatural by our definition.

Are you even aware of what you are posting?

Definition of supernatural: "A force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature"
Edited by RootsBooster
Missed a bit

So for the 3rd time. Why do you believe it exists?
For the 2nd time. "Because it's been subject to scientific study for thousands of years".

Just out of interest. Why is the idea of miraculous particles springing into existence from out of nowhere, or the idea of the universe having always existed easier to accept than the idea of something far greater than myself being at work?

For the 2nd time. "Because it's been subject to scientific study for thousands of years".

Just out of interest. Why is the idea of miraculous particles springing into existence from out of nowhere, or the idea of the universe having always existed easier to accept than the idea of something far greater than myself being at work?

Seriously, do you read what you post?

You defined this 'something' as supernatural, beyond human comprehension, defying the laws of logic.

You're now claiming that you believe it exists because ""Because it's been subject to scientific study for thousands of years"

This is despite science being not at all concerned with the supernatural.

As for your other point.

Where did I claim that I have a belief in any of that?

I'm happy to say that I don't know what happened before The Big Bang.

Your claims are bordering on an argument from ignorance.