Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

I started it, so I'll finish on this.

Why has religion retained it's appeal in an age of scientific discovery and cynicism? (I think some people forgot this thread was science related but never mind). Probably because in spite of religions highly tenuous, easily doubtable and mostly contradictory claims of miraculous happenings and Gods creating the universe, their claims are no less of an explanation than the highly implausible totally irrational scientific theories that attempt to explain the origins and nature of 'something' called the universe.

The actual quote is;

"Unbelievers are in ignorance of things that are of faith, for neither do they see or know them in themselves, nor do they know them to be credible. The faithful, on the other hand, know them, not as by demonstration, but by the light of faith which makes them see that they ought to believe them, as stated above." (Summa Theologiae II-II, Q. 1, Art. 5, reply obj. 1)

Yeah but Janie's is catchier...:)

That's a brilliant quote, janie.

Hits the nail on the head.

Thankyou.

I copied it from a book of of quotes I had Anna.

This is another quote from him I saved.

" We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have laboured in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it".

" We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have laboured in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it".

That's all well and good, but faith isn't a reliable pathway to truth.

It is there any position that cannot be taken on faith?

Edited by SnailyBoy

I asked, Which, if any, of the above claims is logical? I never asked whether the fact that people believe these claims is a true fact, and you know I didn't.

Yes, you did. Look at the words.

5) Some believe this something sprang into existence from out of nowhere.

6) Some believe this something must have always existed.

Would anyone care to point out which, if any, of the above claims are logical and explain why you believe it to be logical?

You don't even understand what questions you're asking.

Now. When you decide take it upon yourself to discredit and undermine peoples faith and beliefs from the position of- "But your beliefs aren't based by scientific evidence", how the hell can you then suggest that I take my argument to scientists? C'mon, I was under the impression that you had an understanding of this scientific evidence? You harp on about it enough..

Is there a question here? It reads like nonsense.

As I understand it- The universe (everything that exists) began as a singularity (An extremely small, extremely dense ball of matter)

Nope, because that wouldn't be a beginning would it. There would have been a small dense thing there before.

that exploded, so to speak, into a rapid expansion 15 billions years ago and as continued to rapidly expand to this very day. This means, by this time tomorrow, it will have expanded further still, into empty space

Nope, empty space would be space that does exist. Expansion is OF space, not into space.

that doesn't exist, because nothing exists beyond time and space.

Now. I can say with complete certainty that you consider this theory to be correct and true. Well, apart from the empty space that doesn't exist part obviously, because that's just something I've invented isn't it..

You're back to mind reading again are you?

I'll correct your guesswork. That theory is the best working model we have at the moment.

That's how science works, we try to explain things, but we know that further evidence or just a mathematical insight even might cause those hypotheses and theories to be revised.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Do you believe both of these claims?.

Nothing exists beyond time and space.

Time and space is expanding.

If you answer 'yes', based on scientific evidence that proves it, (or say-so as it were, since it is only say-so if all you're doing is taking someone's word for it.) why is it you choose to believe scientists and ignore your voice of reason that must be screaming at you, telling you how improbable it is?

Is this it? This is what you wanted to call out as illogical? :hihi:

Your failure to understand something doesn't make it illogical.

I really fail to understand why I should love people with abhorrent and destructive views and opinions..