Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

I started it, so I'll finish on this.

Why has religion retained it's appeal in an age of scientific discovery and cynicism? (I think some people forgot this thread was science related but never mind). Probably because in spite of religions highly tenuous, easily doubtable and mostly contradictory claims of miraculous happenings and Gods creating the universe, their claims are no less of an explanation than the highly implausible totally irrational scientific theories that attempt to explain the origins and nature of 'something' called the universe.

why do scientific discovery and the existence of a creator mutually exclusive?

the more we understand about the universe the more of the magnificence of the creator's work is revealed.

the more we understand about the universe the more of the magnificence of the creator's work is revealed.

Now all you need to do is define and demonstrate the existence of a creator.

Certain people look for answers to their origins. Digging in philosophical ideas of your existence doesn't go far or deep enough to find that answer. Looking at the surface like science or organised religion will keep going around in circles. Thinking about it, looking for assumptions, believing in scriptures, performing scientific experiments. All of that looks the other way, to the opposite direction of your origins.

That's not quite true, is it?

Only one of those two things goes round in circles. The other makes more and more progress all the time.

Yes that magnificent creator! I'm not sure what creation he should be more proud of. Maybe the Loa loa worm, whose life cycle includes burrowing into the eyes of humans, causing pain and blindness. Or maybe the bacteria that causes sepsis, he must have really been proud of that one!

To go back to the original question, I don't know why religion has retained its appeal (although I could make a few educated guesses). Hopefully it doesn't keep its appeal much longer however.

Oh dear, you're at it again.

Look up the logical fallacy - argument from incredulity.

Your argument is textbook.

Expectation. Definition: "A strong belief that something "will not happen or be the case".

Then again, I could argue that I just have a "reasonable expectation", much like you have about still being alive tomorrow.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 20:42 ----------

Whatever attributes this creator of yours has.

It must have always existed. Either that or it miraculously sprang into existence from out of nowhere which is beyond question since scientists say such things are possible.

Expectation. Definition: "A strong belief that something "will not happen or be the case".

Then again, I could argue that I just have a "reasonable expectation", much like you have about still being alive tomorrow.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 20:42 ----------

It must have always existed. Either that or it miraculously sprang into existence from out of nowhere which is beyond question since scientists say such things are possible.

Your logical fallacy is argument from personal incredulity.